Lang vs Perkins was: RE: sofokles video clip

-----Original Message-----
From: Berry, Mark S [mailto:berrym@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 9:43 AM
To: 'celtics@xxxxxxxx'
Subject: Re: sofokles video clip

See, I looked at that Heat clip and came away with exactly the opposite
impression. I saw a guy with bad hands and not especially explosive. I
contrasted it to the James Lang clip, where Lang dunked the ball
consecutively about 10 or 12 times from opposite sides of the rim, and
Lang
looked much more athletic and explosive to me.

I've never seen Sofaklis in a game situation, but did see James
Lang(I'll vouch for his explosiveness) and Kendrick Perkins going head
to head in the McDonalds High School game.  All three are 6'8" about
300lb.  Here's my opinion of their 5 on 5 play.

Even though Perkins is mentioned as a possibility at 20 by espn, I'd
pass.  Lang got every rebound, outjumped(even though he's heavier),
outhustled, and pushed him around.  Perkins gave effort because it was a
big game full of scouts yet still got abused.

Lang showed great hands, catching Lebron James's hotdog passes.  Had the
stamina to play big minutes, got up for dunks, made the effort to rotate
& challenge shots, and even finished off some breaks.  Perkins made some
nice passes, tried taking people off the dribble from long range, and is
a drifter.

Basically Lang is 316lbs with looong arms, looks fat, but is shockingly
quick and explosive like Tractor Traylor.  Perkins looks more trim, but
shows no hops, and is slow like Fortson without the rebounding.

Maybe Obrien still talks to Pitino and will be sold on James Lang
(Louisville recruit).  As long as he never balloons in weight, he'd be
the monster for the C's that Amare Stoudamire and Zac Randolph are.
He's already NBA ready physically and still growing.  Hopefully Sofaklis
also has that upside.