Miscellaneous draft thoughts

1.	The Celtics should be rooting hard against this Seattle-Toronto
deal. Two of the rumors involving the Celts involved those teams, so if they
get together on a deal, you have to think it leaves the Celts out of luck.

2.	It sounds like the Celtics might be at a disadvantage in the Toronto
talks because other teams are willing to take back Jerome Williams'
contract, which runs five more seasons. The Celts want Antonio Davis,
another bad contract, but it only has three more seasons (same as Vin's). I
don't blame the Celts for balking at Williams' deal.

3.	The Bulls were discussing sending Jay Williams, Fizer and Marshall
to the Celts for Antoine. Would they still do the deal if they put the No. 7
pick in the trade instead of Jay Williams? Would the Celtics do it? If they
like Hinrich that much, they probably could get him at No. 7. I don't see it
with Hinrich, but I've been wrong before.

4.	Insider nailed the T.J. Ford thing today. He's sliding a little
because he's a little small and not a great shooter, so he's not wowing
anyone in workouts. I have no doubt there are plenty of bigger point guards
who can shoot rings around T.J. Ford. But that means very little when
talking about point guards. When will these guys learn? It's the same
philosophy that kills NFL teams drafting quarterbacks. They fall in love
with these 6-5 studs who can throw the ball through a wall, and ignore the
things that are most important for QBs-accuracy, timing, leadership, etc.

5.	The Celts... Today's Insider predictions are my worst-case scenario.
If they can't trade up, and Ridnour is the best point guard left on the
board, then forget point guard and grab a Pavlovic or Hayes. Or, if you
believe he can do it, grab Diaw, stick him at point guard and leave him
there. If you like Mo Williams better than Ridnour (I do), then grab
Williams at 20. Or snatch Planinic away from the Nets. And Baby Shaq-don't
do it. If you want to go big, go with Lang, Perkins or Pachulia. But only if
you believe they can play, not just because he's next on some mock draft.
Grab a Hansen or Delfino if you are more confident in those guys. Whatever.
I'm not excited about the way this thing is shaping up.

Mark