On The Mend

You won't find this in the Globe or the Herald.
Apparently the health of the Celtics starting center isn't news.
I found this on the Celtics.com

On The Mend
By: Dan Nagler

 Battie has spent much of his offseason with Celtics Trainer Ed Lacerte.

The Celtics have a fighter. It takes adversity for a person's true colors to
show, and a torn meniscus in the right knee served as Tony Battie's personal
challenge. After battling through an injury-riddled season and now recovering
from surgery, Battie's strong will for the game of basketball has never before
shown so bright.

"When I first started out it was a question mark in my mind every time I
stepped out on the court with it," said Battie about his injured knee which caused
problems throughout most of last season, "Once I got out there and my
adrenaline started flowing the game just kind of took over I thought less about it."

The problems began toward the conclusion of the 2001-02 season. Battie felt
some soreness in his knee and was looked at by the training staff. The
diagnosis was a minor shred of a meniscus, but surgery was not a reasonable option at
that time because his injury was considered normal wear and tear for an
athlete. Doctors, trainers, and Battie himself decided that time off and rehab
during the summer of 2002 would be sufficient measures to heel the knee.

The injury appeared to have improved over the summer. Then came training
camp, a rigorous month of two a day practices and intense drills. Battie began to
feel pain again and it intensified and became a legitimate concern in late
December. At this point there began to be speculation on the possibility of
mid-season surgery.

"Surgery was something that I wanted to avoid totally because I didn't want
to take the chance of missing the duration of the season. I'd rather play
through the pain and stick it out to the end of the season like I did," said
Battie. "They weren't going to look at my knee. They weren't going to get inside
until the season was over."

On December 31st Battie missed the first of eleven games that spanned the
remainder of the season as a result of the bad knee.

"It got to the point where it was a mental strain," he said, "I had to focus
somehow, whether it be watching extra tape or standing around in the gym just
spot shooting. I was saving all the running around and the soreness and the
pain for the games. I was going to gut it out through the games."

It is now one month since the surgery to repair the torn meniscus and Battie
jogged on a treadmill for the first time.

"The situation wasn't as bad as I expected," he said about the surgery, "I
feel pretty good. The flexibility is there and the strengthening is coming
pretty good. I like the prognosis right now and the rehab is going pretty well"

Battie is currently in the midst of a tedious 10-week rehab program. On a
normal day he can be seen riding a stationary bike, doing leg extensions to
strengthen the quads in the lower knee, doing quad tightening exercises, working
the leg press, balancing on one leg with weights in one hand to make the knee
react, and receiving massages and shock therapy treatments. This list only
covers a few of the activities that fill the four hours of treatment he receives on
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Tuesdays and Thursdays are not quite as
long.

"Four hours of work on the same knee, the same leg, is a lot. It's tiring
after 45 minutes," noted Battie, who takes the weekends off from rehab, but still
massages and ices the knee on his own, "I've got another six weeks that I'm
going to dedicate solely to rehab. Everything is kind of pushed back because of
the knee."

While Battie is working hard at the Sports Authority Training Center at
Healthpoint everyday, the rest of the NBA is on summer vacation. His supposed
vacation is hardly that and his plans to take golf lessons this offseason have been
postponed indefinitely, though you would never know it by talking to him.
Battie clearly prioritizes basketball and the Celtics above all else. His
dedication rings strong as he does not wine about his situation. He is focused and
determined.

"Hopefully mid to late July I can start handling the basketball. I hope to be
full throttle by August, which gives me two months to get myself in top shape
before training camp starts," noted Battie, "Hopefully it will heel up 100
percent and get me through 82 games and more plus the playoffs next year."

The prospect of a healthy Battie means a lot for the Celtics. Battie set
career highs in points and rebounds this past season while playing injured. The
possibilities for success are endless if he is injury free next season.

"I think I played pretty well on a bad knee," said Battie, "Hopefully this
year playing on a better knee I can be more helpful to the team. I want to boost
up my scoring, boost up my rebounding, and just boost up every aspect of my
game."

Things are starting to look up for Battie with next season just around the
corner.

"I'm excited about getting back to 100 percent. Everyone know, the fans know,
anyone who watches the Celtics know that I try to be one of those energetic
players. I like playing above the rim and sometimes when your knee is sore
you're not able to do that," said Battie, "Sometimes you may be used to dunking
all the time and you thrust to go dunk it and the legs say no, so you have to
lay it up. Hopefully I can get that type of energy and that type of spring back
in my legs and it will carry over throughout the season and I can bring it
back to the FleetCenter."

    document.write("<A HREF="http://www.nba.com/";>E-mail this page to a friend</A>");<A HREF="http://www.nba.com/components/EmailAStoryToAFriend.html?articleURL=http://www.nba.com/celtics/roster/062003_OnTheMend.html&title=On%20The%20Mend";>E-mail this page to a
friend</A>