Re: Somebody Explain Brian Cook to me

Josh, the text of your message didn't show up in the archives, so I'm flying
blind here. I've seen Cook for four years here in the Big Ten, so I'll give
my scouting report.

He's a legit power forward. He's 6-10 and long. He has a nice shooting touch
all the way out to the college three-point line. He averaged about 20 and 8
during his senior season.

BUT...

He was raved about as a freshman, but then didn't progress much at all
during his sophomore and junior seasons. He has been called soft, and for
the most part that seems like a legitimate complaint. For three seasons he
spent far too much time away from the basket. He tried to bang a little more
during his senior season. I don't believe he has any low-post moves. He's
not a shot-blocker.

In short, I'm not a big fan. I'd be disappointed if we took him at 16. At
20, depending on who else is available, I could see it. I think his upside
is in the P.J. Brown range-maybe with a little more offense and a little
less defense and rebounding.

Mark