Astute Analysis of Today's Multispectrum Draft & Other News

WhoooWeeee,
There's a full plate of vittles on the speculation table today:

- That Minnesota story actually was out yesterday
and you can't deal Walker straight up for Brandon,
because his salary is much greater: 14 M to 11.

Doesn't mean you can't do a Brandon trade, but it
would either have to be Brandon and other players,
or someone(s) other than Toine in deal: Williams,
Delk, Battie....

But two things to remember: Minnesota wants usuable
players to compliment Garnett (leaves Baker out) and the Brandon
cap space isn't avaialble right away. I could be wrong,
but I thought I read somewhere that Brandon's contract wouldn't
be deleted from the cap until January or February.

Under those conditions, it would be a daring move. I'd do
it, but I don't have to deal with O'Brien, who would
be screaming at Ainge to find replacements for Williams
and McCarty and Delk, etc.

But who knows, Ainge is buddy's with McHale, so anything
is possible.

- Here's the best analysis I've seen on how the Celtics
are making a mistake, if they promised to draft Banks at
16:

"Making a promise to draft Banks at 16, doesn't make a whole
lot of sense, as it's seems unlikely the teams
selecting 17 - 19 will take him.

Phoenix is supposedly eyeing Carbakapa or Ebi (Ray: no longer) and they
have Marbury; New Orleans has Davis and Wesley and is likely seeking a
PF replacement for PJ Brown;
Utah has Raul Lopez on the way, is interested in Miller, and is looking
for wing people who can score.

By drafting Banks at 16, you'll likely see Phoenix take Carbakapa at 17,
New Orleans goes Best PF available, and Utah scoops up the draft's best
shooter: Pavlovic, who's likely rated much higher than Sofoklis."

- Jackie MacMullan with some interesting news. It looks like it's either
Ford at 4 with Toronto -- but of course, there's the big rumor of the
Mavs
shipping LaFrentz and their pick for this pick and Davis - Brilliant
trade
by Dallas if it occurs, by the way -- or Ford drops down to the Bucks at
8.

MacMullan thinking that Wade will go to Miami at 5 seems a little off.
They already have Butler and Jones.  Lampe, Podkolzine,
Bosh, and Kaman all seem to fit better here.

So, Chicago wants Wade, well so do the Clippers allegedly.
It seems that Wade goes 5 - 6 - 7.

Now, if Chicago doesn't take Pietrus at 7, he seems to drop to
either Washington at 10, Seattle at 12, or Memphis at 13.

- In case you missed it, Vin Baker served his 90 days of rehab,
the Celtics started paying him again in April, and they are in
negotiations
for the suspended part of his contract.  Vin is coming back stronger
than ever! (giggle)

- Mark Murphy stuff:

Interesting that they're having Beasley back for a second workout.
Knock on him was that he wasn't a dominant enough player with his
height and skills in Division II. Defense/rebounding questions,
a tweener PF like Toine.

Interesting that they like Jameer Nelson and Sofoklis was impressive.
Ainge seems to be impressed with a large amount of players.
The like everybody draft BS strategy employed or the draft is really
deep!

Ray