re: "bust all over them"

"I once dated a girl like that."  Oh, well.  That was my college roommate's favorite line.  It works for most anything--just try it as a response to almost any remark.

Anyway, I'm intrigued by the sense we develop that certain college (or H. S.) players won't make the jump to the pros.  We sense that LeBron will be fine, that Duncan will be a top-five player, or that Iverson will have a major impact.  But, really, it's a short list that have "can't miss" written all over them.  It depends on factors beyond talent and mental toughness.  It has to do with the vets they play with, the coach, the city and it's night life, their ability to keep family and friends at bay.  It's rarely a slam dunk.  Didn't Troy Murphy surprise most of us and didn't Jefferson surprise most of the gm types--not this list.  Remember Shawn Respert, the best shooter in college ball his year (the eighth pick)?  Remember Michael Smith, ooh, sorry about that, but this guy Johnsen sounds like him and from BYU, too.

So, Sweetney could end up being a force or a tweener, as David West and Collison.  Kaman and Rickert might just not have it.  Hayes could have ball-handling problems, T. J. Ford size and stamina issues, the other point guards pale in comparison to Kidd and Magic; none may achieve Steve Nash staus; and all the Europeans may be Wylkosky's.  Scarry stuff.  What we need is someone who can test their brain waves and tell us who has the best shot at success in the league.  Well, I should go back to work.  Enjoying the list this time of year.  Thanks for all the contributions.  Gene