Payton and young tempo changers

-----Original Message-----
From: James A. Hill [mailto:jahill@leasingservice.com]

This would be a winner four ways.  One, As the top PG in the East,
assuming
Kidd goes West, he wins us 10 more games by himself.  Two, If anyone can
get
Baker to contribute it would be Payton.

James, nice call on the Payton/Baker motivation angle.  Two other points
in favor of the Glove are that he would be an example of "getting a Max
player with the exemption", which is the only way Ainge said he would
consider using it.  Also, Payton is the best guard available anywhere
who can create tempo and offense from good defense.  Apparently the
radio interview said that will be Danny's number one change.

Lets see... besides Payton, who else is a freeagent/draftee that can
both defend & change tempo(consistently unleash the break):

Hinrich - Has both qualities, but there's about 4 teams before us, who
need a pg.

Steve Blake - I know there's no buzz, but he has both qualities.
Doesn't get beat on defense because he's quick and Maryland/Baltimore
are rough areas that produce tough guards.  My closest comparison is
Tony Parker.  He has the maturity, court sense, and Parkers
bodytype/athleticism, no matter what the NBA director of scouting says.

Arenas - Has both qualities (he was a surprising passer in games I saw).
I was unimpressed by "Clipper leader" Miller, who didn't show either
quality last year.

Raefer Alston - Has both qualities, but is still kind of immature and a
shaky shooter after all these years.

Stockton - Free agent and has both qualities.

Barbosa, Gaines - Has one of the qualities (defense).

Ridnour - Has one of the qualities (fast break).

Chris Thomas, Kenny, Troy Bell, Travis Best - are talented scorers
who've worked out or played for the C's, but don't have either skill
that Ainge wants.  If we're left w/ these 4 as choices, I'd stick with
JR/Tony and their natural defensive talent.