Gilbert Arenas?

As long as we're throwing out names and ideas, how about Gilbert Arenas as
Danny's sign-and-trade free agent point guard? Everyone has him ticketed to
Denver, but what if that doesn't happen? What if Denver pulls the trigger on
that Jay Williams and pick No. 7 for pick No. 3 deal? Who else out there has
the cap room and need to offer Arenas something like $7 mil a year (his
agent says that's not enough)? Utah seems to be zeroed in on Andre Miller.
San Antonio isn't interested. Detroit doesn't seem interested, with Chauncey
Billups already there. Am I missing someone with cap room?

The problem for the Celtics is Golden State's crowded frontcourt. They have
Murphy and Jamison at the forward spots, with Dunleavy waiting in the wings,
so a sign-and-trade for Antoine doesn't make much sense. And I don't think
EWill, the trade exception, 16 and 20 makes much sense for Golden State
either. I wish I could make it work, but I just don't see it. Of course,
things might change if you start throwing in bad salaries from Golden
State-but I don't think Ainge wants to go down that road either.

I guess I've already talked myself out of the possibility. Arenas really
isn't a true point guard, but he's pretty darn good. I'd certainly look into
it before I settle for Kenny Anderson (I can't tell you how much I'm opposed
to that idea).

Mark

P.S. I was looking at Simmons' trade value rankings and wondering just who
might match up, value-wise (not salary-wise) with Antoine. Here are a few
suggestions: Shareef (not a leading man, but a dynamite-and willing-sidekick
for Pierce), Andre Miller, Kwame Brown (based on upside), Mike Bibby (would
the Kings dump his salary knowing they have Bobby Jackson waiting in the
wings?), Rasheed Wallace (the psycho version of Shareef-a sidekick), Michael
Finley (not a need for the Celts).  That's about it.

One quick note on Shareef-all the criticisms of the guy boil down to the
fact that he knows his limitations. OK, he's a 20-point, 10-rebound guy and
efficient scorer who blocks some shots and can't be the go-to guy in the
clutch. OK. So if he tried to do more-say, shoot more threes, handle the
ball more, force up shots when they aren't there, turn the ball over
more-what would you have? Antoine. My point is this: Everyone keeps saying
Antoine would be better if he stopped trying to do so much and settled in as
the second- or third-best player on the team. Well, why not trade for
someone who understands that? Shareef understands his role. The "never been
on a winning team" thing is a bit unfair. Look at his teammates. He never
has played with someone of Piece's caliber. How good would the Hawks be if
you took Shareef off the team and put Antoine on it? Would they be better?
Does anyone really think that?

Sorry... that wasn't so quick was it?