RE: Jumaine Jones

Thanks, Egg. I went back and found it in the archives. Did everyone just
miss this?! Isn't this a pretty darn inflammatory post? And yet no replies?
Did I miss them?

I guess we all suspected as much, but for Ainge to come out and state it so
matter of factly is surprising. Forget any optimism with Banks... if Obie
and Antoine are both back, it will be more of the same. Long stretches of
the Delk-Pierce-EWill-Antoine-Battie group, with Antoine playing "point
forward" and the take-turns offense. The easy thing would have been to fire
Obie. That's what Ainge should have done. Take the heat for firing him after
two playoff trips, but do it for the future of the franchise. But he didn't
do that.

So, the next option is dealing Antoine. Obie and Antoine are joined at the
hip. If Antoine is there, Obie will let him do what he wants. That's the
deal he made with Antoine. And, looking at the roster, he really doesn't
have much choice. What's he going to do, bench Antoine in favor of Hunter?
Of course not. So Antoine gets free reign to play his game (ugh). And as
long as Antoine is playing Antoine's game, Banks will look a lot like Kenny
Anderson and Milt Palacio and Tony Delk and Shammond Williams and JR
Bremer-a short guy standing at the 3-point line, waiting for Walker or
Pierce to kick it out to him.

Obie and Antoine both will be gone before the 2004 season. The battle over
style of play and, as someone already pointed out, the looming battle over
the allocation of playing time between "Obie's guys" and "Danny's guys" will
be the reason. Antoine may not even make it past the trading deadline,
although I think a draft-night trade next summer is more likely. And Obie is
too stubborn to step off the train tracks. What's discouraging is we're
going to waste a season sorting those things out.

Mark