Globe - sounds like Danny is done

This sounds like Danny is done. I guess the 15 spot is future flexibiity and
Delk is the third point guard opton....

DJessen33

<Celtics are near deal for Jones

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 7/29/2003

ALTHAM -- The Celtics agreed in principle to a three-player sign-and-trade
with the Cavaliers yesterday, bringing free agent forward Jumaine Jones to
Boston for point guard J.R. Bremer and center Bruno Sundov. There remain a few
details to settle regarding Jones's contract to complete the sign-and-trade part
of the agreement. But both sides expect to call the NBA today and gain official
approval for the deal.

With the Celtics' latest move, as well as yesterday's signing of second-round
pick Brandon Hunter, director of basketball operations Danny Ainge continues
to restructure the team. Jones brings athleticism, 3-point shooting ability,
and toughness to Boston. Last season with Cleveland, Jones appeared in 80 games
(12 starts) and averaged 9.8 points per game, 5.1 rebounds and 1.4 assists in
27.6 minutes. The 6-foot-8-inch, 218-pound forward shot 43.4 percent from the
field and 35.4 percent from beyond the arc.

''I just feel that Jumaine Jones is a player who has not yet achieved what he
is capable of achieving,'' said Ainge when reached by phone yesterday. ''I
believe he's been a solid NBA player up to this point. He started on the
Philadelphia 76ers' Eastern Conference championship team in the playoffs as a rookie.
Then, he was traded to Cleveland. I just don't think he's achieved what his
potential is and I hope that he can in a Boston uniform, that we can help
develop him. He's at that time in his career where he's got some NBA experience and
I think he can help us become a better team as well. That's why we're doing
it.''

Meanwhile, Hunter traveled from his hometown of Cincinnati to the Celtics'
training facility to take a physical and sign a two-year contract worth
approximately $1 million. The first year is guaranteed and, if Hunter is still on the
roster as of June 30, 2004, the rest of the deal is, too. ''I never thought
I'd be here,'' said Hunter, ''but here I am. For me to even get a fully
guaranteed contract in the second round was unbelievable, especially being picked
56th.''

Starting with the draft-night acquisitions of rookies Marcus Banks and
Kendrick Perkins followed by the re-signing of Mark Blount and Walter McCarty, and
finishing with the recent additions of Mike James, Hunter and Jones, the
Celtics appear to have an improved roster. Ainge has added speed and athleticism
while maintaining continuity and staying within the budget parameters set by the
owners. Once the trade with Cleveland is official, the Celtics will have a
14-man roster. And it very well could be the lineup that starts training camp.

''I don't know if there's ever such a thing as being done until you
accomplish what you're trying to accomplish,'' said Ainge. ''Let's put it this way. I
would feel very good if that were the case and we went into training camp with
this 14-man roster, but that doesn't mean that we're done.

''I feel like we've addressed a lot of the needs. Speed in the backcourt.
Athleticism in the frontcourt. Rebounding. Outside shooting. I think we've
improved all those elements that we wanted to improve.''

But given the five new players slated to arrive in Waltham for preseason, it
will take some time to figure out what roles fit the summer additions. Jones
could come off the bench as a substitute for Eric Williams at small forward.
During his five-year career, Jones has struggled to find a good fit in the NBA.
He was selected 27th overall by the Hawks in the 1999 draft, then traded to
the Sixers. Two years ago, he was traded to the Cavaliers along with Tyrone Hill.

''I could see Jumaine Jones as being anywhere from a starter to an eighth
man, but a lot of that's going to depend on him and how well he plays,'' said
Ainge. ''Knowing the competitive nature of Jumaine, I know that he's not afraid
of competing for a job. But we have a lot of forwards, a lot of guys that play
in the front line. And yet, I think that Jumaine, can slide down and play the
two-guard spot at times, too. So, I like his versatility as well.''

To acquire Jones, the Celtics gave up relatively little. While Bremer would
have competed for time at point guard, it's likely he would have been coach Jim
O'Brien's third option behind Banks and James. In Boston, Sundov would have
seen very little time next season. With veterans Tony Battie, Blount, and Vin
Baker expected in the mix at center, and the rookie Perkins developing, Sundov
would have been the odd man out. He should be better off in a new environment.

Now, the Celtics must wait and see if the moves they made during the
offseason yield results.

''I made an effort for Karl Malone and Juwan Howard and Antonio Daniels,''
said Ainge. ''So there were guys out there that I liked that we didn't get, but
I'm happy with the guys that we did get.

''Hopefully, everybody's chemistry on the court and off the court can mesh,''
said Ainge. ''You never really know that until you get out there and you see
it work. But I like the makeup of our team. I think the team is better than we
were last year. And I think that everybody in our organization feels that
way, that the roster is significantly better today than it was when the season
ended last year.''>