Sixers/Knicks deal

ESPN reports:

Philly will get Glenn Robinson for Van Horn
Knicks will get Van Horn for Sprewell
Minny gets Sprewell for Brandon contract
Atlanta gets Brandon contract for Robinson

I'm not sure Robinson for Van Horn makes Philly a much
better team. Big Dog scored twice as many PPG as Pale
Rider last year, but Robinson won't make up for Van
Horn's defensive lapses. Ditto with the Knicks:
they've wanted to ditch Sprewell and add a bigger SF,
which they've done, though now they're even more
perimeter-oriented. Van Horn and Houston bombing away
from outside will open up room for Thomas and Sweetney
to operate inside, but they're still missing some
pieces. All in all, I'm not sure this deal has major
ramifications for Boston - Philly figured to be better
than us next year anyway, unless Ayers completely
sucks as coach.

Clear loser here seems like the Hawks, unless they can
use this cap space immediately to go after a FA - and
I don't that they can. And anyway, who's still out
there? Seems like another perennial-rebuilding move.
Wouldn't surprise me if they try to move Ratliff or
Reef next.

Big winner? Kevin Garnett. His team's added Cassell,
Sprewell and Olowokandi and lost only Joe Smith,
Peeler and Rasho. The sad thing is, it's probably
still not enough to get Minny past the second round.
Plus, a Cassell-Sprewell backcourt is risky - could be
brilliant or could really flame out. We'll see how
they like sharing the ball with KG, Wally and the
Kandi Man. (Note that the dummies at ESPN forgot to
even mention the Cassell trade when assessing
Minnesota's offseason moves.)

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0722/1584275.html