Re: WBZ radio just gave a news flash

At 07:10 PM 7/19/2003 -0400, Dan Forant wrote:
It seems that the Celts coaching staff either doesn't want to or can't
teach. Here's a guy Walter that has gifted physical stamina, speed etc., yet
plays below his abilities.

Yeah, but I think it's not that simple. What Walter doesn't have is the slightest basketball brains, which makes it tough to develop him past a certain point. MUCH better athlete than basketball player. He needs someone to provide a certain limited structure that he can deal with, within which he will play his heart out for you. However, that puts severe limitations on developing him. Mind you, I STILL think they could have wound him up and pointed him in better directions - I'm not saying you're totally wrong - just that I think for all the physical skills, there's a limit to how far you can go with teaching him before he overloads and becomes a clueless mess again.

 NY didn't do much with him. We certainly didn't.
The house cleaning should have started with the coaching staff. These
rookies that come to Celtic Land better not unpack unless they have the
tools. There's no patience or program to fit their needs.

Don't think that's wholly true. JJ got the PT until he played his way out of it to the bench. Kedrick was injured when he should have been developing for 2 years and took some huge steps back because of that. Forte - well DON'T tell me you're moaning Joseph's absense, given his subsequent track record. And back to JJ, IMO it's an open question how much Obie was involved in quickly dumping him vs being willing to let him get another shot after he got his act together. There are a fair number of signs that Obie and Wallace weren't on the same page on stuff. And for all the whining around here about Obie's negative statements, no one seems to be willing to harp as much on the positive ones he's made about the rookies too.

Banks will get the time. Perkins has been said by everyone to be a development project, and that doesn't have to be done by throwing him in over his head at the start. Hunter would probably have been more problematic is we did keep him, because he provides what we need in one area, but I could see him causing some real problems in our offense and with matchups on defense, since we don't have other power inside to help him when he gets posted up. I'd still really like to keep him, but I expect Walter here means Brandon gone.

Kim