NY rumors turn bizarre

This is out of the NYPost today but is already dated with Kandi agreeing to
sign with the Wolves. However, the last couple of paragraphs have the Knicks
still looking at the Celtic roster with truly bizarre focus. Walker, Battie, a
resigned Walter and Williams. Maybe this is the 3 team trade that some on the
RealGM board had rumored with Atlanta where we end up getting Ratcliff. But it
is difficult to speculate when you are practically trading your whole team...

DJessen33

<'KANDI' NOW LOOKS
SWEET TO KNICKS

By MARC BERMAN
--

 TALL ORDER:
Knicks hope to land Clippers 7-footer Michael Olowokandi (above), now that

July 16, 2003 -- BOSTON - The Knicks' six-year, $36.8 million mid-level
exception offer to 7-foot center Rasho Nesterovic was not enough.
Nesterovic, the Knicks' top target at center, decided to take the money and
replace David Robinson in San Antonio. Nesterovic is expected to officially
sign today for six years and $45 million, leaving the Timberwolves.

"I'm a little disappointed," Don Chaney told The Post yesterday at the Boston
summer league. "I thought we had a legitimate shot at him."

With today being the opening of the signing period, the Knicks must refocus
and hope Clippers center Michael Olowokandi slips through the cracks.

If he doesn't get whopping offers from under-the-cap money Miami or the
Nuggets, he could be available for the $4.9 million exception because L.A. is
letting him leave, believing 7-foot Chris Kaman is already better in the low post
than Olowokandi.

Center Brad Miller will probably re-sign with Indiana and won't take the
Knicks' mid-level exception because he made $5.3M last season. The Knicks' only
chance for Miller is via a sign-and-trade.

If they are outbid for Olowokandi, the Knicks have their eyes on aging but
still capable Elden Campbell. There's mild interest in Seattle 6-11 Yugoslavian
center Predrag Drobnjak, a restricted free agent. The Sonics would have 14
days to match any offer but won't match the full mid-level exception, according
to a league source. Drobnjak is a defensive liability and does his damage from
the perimeter.

There is a bigger drawback. Drobnjak's agent is in Europe and he's already
told the Knicks he probably wouldn't enter negotiations till August. The Knicks
don't have interest in Derrick Coleman.

When asked about Olowokandi, Chaney said, "We're in a position we have to
look at all the centers out there."

Olowokandi has still not developed much of an offensive game, with marginal
skill in the low block. But when he wants to, he can be an outstanding
defensive big man. Problem is, he has a reputation of pouting if he feels he's not
involved enough in the offense. That's why the Clippers, according to a league
source, will let him fly.

The Knicks have had a lot of in-house discussion about Olowokandi the past
few days.

"I've never coached him but I'm not one to go by what other people are
saying," Chaney said. "I'd like to see for myself, sit down and meet with him."

Knicks GM Scott Layden said it's "not likely" the club will sign anyone to an
offer sheet today and no visits have been set up yet, though Olowokandi has
been invited.

Meanwhile, the Antoine Walker trade reports keep getting more bizarre. The
latest had the Celtics mulling a Knick offer that included Mike Sweetney. One
gigantic problem: Sweetney signed his contract nine days ago and is not
permitted to be traded until Dec. 15.

"There's absolutely no truth to any of the rumors," Celtics president Danny
Ainge said. "Anything in the paper today can't be true."

In truth, the Knicks have reservations about Walker's mental state. Celtic
talks have not just focused on the erratic power forward, but the Knicks would
be looking for a larger deal, with interest in center Tony Battie, free agent
Walter McCarty and defensive stopper Eric Williams.