Pierce putting money on Banks

He gets look, and puts in his 2 cents

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 7/15/2003

eltics star Paul Pierce made a special trip East to see the Reebok Pro Summer
League. He arrived in town shortly before last night's prime-time matchup
between the Celtics and Cavaliers, featuring LeBron James. But Pierce was not
there to watch James and feed the hype. While most in the sold-out Clark
Athletic Center gym at UMass-Boston kept a close eye on James, Pierce focused
on Marcus Banks. The Celtics' top draft pick (via a trade with the Grizzlies)
impressed Pierce and the crowd with 10 points and 4 assists in his Boston
professional debut as the Celtics edged Cleveland, 87-84.

''Why else do you think I'm here?'' said Pierce before tipoff. ''To check out
Marcus Banks. Don't Banks play next?''

When asked about the much-hyped rookie with a $90-million Nike contract also
about to take the floor, Pierce added: ''That other person can't help me.''

Although well into summer vacation, Pierce was very much focused on next
season. He has altered his offseason training, doing away with the heavy slate
of pickup games he usually plays. In an effort to rejuvenate his body after a
long summer playing for the US men's national team and a long season with the
Celtics, Pierce now prefers more individual work. Weightlifting.
Cardiovascular conditioning. And kickboxing. He took up the sport to add
variety to his routine.

Sitting on the baseline enjoying his first taste of Boston summer league ball,
the cocaptain talked about a variety of subjects. He addressed free agency,
the Celtics' plans for a running game, Antoine Walker trade rumors, the
pursuit of Karl Malone, the Lakers, the Nets, the state of the league and,
yes, James.

Pierce on free agency: ''[Head of basketball operations Danny Ainge] and I
haven't had a conversation of late. Hopefully, with my time down here over the
next week, I'll be able to sit down and talk to him about what direction we're
headed in and what we're trying to do. I think Walter [McCarty] is definitely
an important piece of the puzzle that we have, that we're trying to build
here. But it's a business and Danny Ainge understands that.

''Truthfully, there is one guy I would really like to add. I really like Erick
Strickland and what he brought us a couple years ago. He's a good friend of
mine. I think he really fits in well with the Celtics' system and I think he
can really help us, especially with Marcus Banks. I know [Strickland] has a
great work ethic.''

On the Celtics' plan for a running game: ''That's my game. If I can go out
there and get 6 or 7 points in transition, it's going to make life a lot
easier on me. I think I had to work real hard last year just to get points.
We've got a guy [Banks], who I hear can really push the tempo and get us out
on the break. I think we'll be a more exciting team.''

On the Walker trade rumors: ''What summer in the last five years that I've
been here hasn't Antoine been mentioned in trade rumors? This is nothing new.
He's been through it before. He's a veteran. He understands it's a business,
but I don't think Antoine is going anywhere. I don't think there's anything
out there. If it can't dramatically help our team and put us in the Finals, to
where we're a contender, I don't see it happening. But every year Antoine's
gotten that. And I know he's going to be back next year.''

On the Celtics' pursuit of Malone: ''I guess as a director of basketball
operations you've got to try to look at your options. Whoever Danny puts on
the court, I've got to play with.''

On the Lakers with four future Hall of Famers in the fold: ''I'm jealous.''

On the Nets re-signing Jason Kidd and adding Alonzo Mourning: ''That puts a
lot of pressure on us. We can't take steps back. This is a team that swept us
and they improved. It's up to us to try and improve. I put my trust in Danny
and the management to get some things done.''

On the spate of NBA players running into trouble with the law, from Kobe
Bryant to Jerry Stackhouse: ''It's really been a difficult summer for the NBA
as far as upholding our image. A lot of guys are getting into their troubles
in the summer and they have to be careful because we're a target. The
microscope is definitely on us. You've just got to be careful what you do and
where you go.''

And finally, on James: ''From what I've seen and read, he's a great talent. I
just hope that he comes out here and helps the league blossom as a young star.
What he's done for the league already is amazing. He's brought up ticket
sales. He's sold out the Boston summer league.''

Pierce had a front-row seat for all the LeBron hype, relaxing along the
baseline. But the plays that brought the biggest smile to Pierce's face were
executed by his future teammates. . . .

College Player of the Year T.J. Ford helped lead the Bucks to a 76-71 victory
over the Knicks. The rookie point guard finished with 16 points and 8 assists.
Frank Williams (23 points) and Michael Sweetney (20) were the biggest
contributors for New York, though they could have used more support. In the
second game of the day, the Wizards struggled to score as they were routed by
the Hawks, 82-50. For Washington, starters Kwame Brown, Jarvis Hayes, and Juan
Dixon all reached double figures, but the bench produced just 10 points.
Despite a 29-point effort by Philadelphia's John Salmons, the Nets beat the
Sixers, 86-80, behind 20 points from Brian Scalabrine . . . John Nash, who
served as general manager in Washington, New Jersey, and Philadelphia, is
expected to be named to a similar post with Portland this week, according to
sources close to Nash. The Celtics' Chris Wallace had been rumored to be a
candidate.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of C.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of BGMag_Big.gif]