Re: Catching up on everything

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:57:34 -0400
From: "Berry, Mark  S" <berrym@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Catching up on everything

1.	Brandon Hunter... Maybe he turns into Malik Rose. Let's face it. The
odds are against him. He was the 56th pick in the draft for a reason, and I
don't think it's just his size. But maybe he's that rare player who slips
through the cracks and becomes a real contributor. But I'm not going to hang
anyone if he doesn't make the team. I hope he wows everyone. My gripe with
Obie on this is relatively minor: He's close-minded. Instead of saying "This
guy has a great opportunity. We need rebounding and if he can provide it, he
can find a role on this team. It's all up to him." Obie says: "Our rosters
stacked; the odds are beyond long... " Give the guy a chance, Obie. Why send
the message to him that there's no room for him, regardless of how he plays
this week?

I agree mark. The first thing that pops into my mind with his cynical (if not accurate) comments is that he's passive aggressively sending a message to ainge.

I'm trying to think which i'd prefer, OB's dogged anti-youth attitude or Pitino/Wallace's uber-hyperbole surrounding ever acquisition.

2. The "crowded roster... " The problem is they need producers with their new acquisitions because Wallace left the bench stacked with non-contributors. You have Baker, Sundov, Kedrick, Blount and now Kendrick all eating up roster spots without doing much. Plus, you have a rookie point guard who may or may not be ready for significant minutes (we all hope he is, but we really don't know). The sad truth is there isn't a lot of room for another developmental player. If Hunter shows he can contribute immediately, great. But, if not, Ainge probably needs to go out and find someone who can. That's just reality.

Agree again. I can't wait till this time next year when Ainge has been able to weed out the dead wood on the bench and bring in some actual contributors. In fact its one of the reasons i was willing to give OB a minipass on playing the starters so many minutes.

I don't imagine there would be a real reason to do this on Indy's part, but what about calling them and seeing if they'll do a sign and trade of EStrick for Sundov. It might help marginally with their lux tax next year? I seem to remember them not wanting to let him go, but also not being foolish enough to

3.	The Knicks still after Walker... It has to involve Thomas and
Sweetney if it's just Antoine... or it has to dump Baker along with Antoine
(for lesser returns). That's it. BUT... if the Knicks are researching Walker
by calling Pitino, that sounds to me like it's a little more serious than
just a quick phone call.

I'd want a NY pick -- esp. since even with Walker I don't see them being much more than a middle of the pack team sort of like we were in the Wilkins-Radja years.

4. Orlando signs Juwan Howard... Another East team got significantly better.

I don't know about that. Where does Howard play? Where does Gooden play? I understand ORL talk about adding talent but if I'm them I'm going after Arenas or Nesterovic. How much better Is Howard than Battie?

Battie played 10 less mins a game and avg. 1 fewer Reb, 1 more block

5.	The Grizzlies are discussing a sign-and-trade with the Clippers that
would send Wesley Person ($7 mill left for one year) and his soon-to-expire
contract (and a future first-rounder) to LA for Michael Olowokandi on a
longer-term deal at comparable money. Would they do the same deal for Eric
Williams? That's an interesting idea.

I'm not sold at all on Olowokandi -- the games (2-3) i saw him play in he looked uninspired, which in a contract year is even more surprising.

Amusing that Vin Baker isn't in the C's 2002-03 team photo http://www.nba.com/media/celtics/Photo_0203Team_1024x768.jpg