Re: The News Today Makes Me Sick

> Ray, you're right. The Celtics aren't in position to challenge the Nets or
> Pistons over the next three seasons, and probably aren't in position to
> challenge the Pacers. You can make good cases for Orlando and New Orleans
> as
> well, and the Bulls are going to make a significant leap either this
> season
> or next.
>
> BUT... There are no shortcuts for the Celts. If I'm Ainge, my goal for the
> next two years is getting Vin Baker off the books. That's it.

Well, I think trying to move Antoine in an equitable deal is right up there
with Baker's
departure. Vin may decide to hang it up this season, and thus, some buyout
reached,
and the buyout dollars spread over the remaining years of Baker's contract.
Say $15 M. or a $5M. yearly cap burden.

I can think of one shortcut though.  Signing a quality free agent PF this
summer, that way,
you're freed from having to receive one back in any Toine trade and it
increases
your flexibility.

> I don't know
> if it's a buyout or attaching him to Antoine in some lopsided trade or
> what.

I think Vinnie may hang it up, before you have to resort to such draconian
measures.

> But my goal is to get him off the books at the same time Antoine's
> contract
> is scheduled to come off the books.

David Aldridge's thinking too, from his last ESPN chat.
However, as we have seen from this present crop of FAs, if you're a
contending team, you have a better chance of signing a quality free agent.
If you just let Walker walk, it may be difficult to attract anyone of
interest,
aka The Bulls and Clippers conundrum. So, the best option is to acquire
contracts
in a Walker trade (besides getting a player of value) that expire at the same
time as
Baker's deal.

> That would allow the team to be
> serious
> players in the free agent market in 2005, hopefully with a nucleus of
> Pierce, Banks and an emerging Perkins.

Banks and Perkins will be solid, but doubt they are anywhere near All -Star
quality.

> If they can't find the right deal
> for
> Antoine this offseason, then try again next summer. Keep taking small
> steps
> to change the team, until in position to make the big moves in free
> agency.

However, it seems like from this year's free agent procedures, that it's the
contending
teams with cap space that attract the FAs.

> The key to accelerating that timeline is Baker. Get him off the books any
> way possible.
>
> IF a great opportunity pops up between now and then (Brand, etc.), great.
> But don't take your eyes off the bigger picture of clearing those two max
> contracts and becoming a player in free agency.
>
> As for Bird... He never would have put up with Pagliuca's meddling. Ainge
> is
> friends with Pags, so he can manage that relationship better.

That is probably true.

> Even if the
> new owners had wanted Bird, LB wouldn't have come. It just wasn't going to
> happen here unless he had been able to work with Belkin and buy the team.
> And that didn't happen. So Bird goes to a great situation in Indy,
> probably
> to be reunited with Rick Carlisle next summer, at which point the Pacers
> become the team they should be.

That is also probably true. With O'Neal locked up, they can now move out
Thomas,
who will either produce this season or be gone.

> And as for Lampe... Be careful. The clips of the guy are less than
> inspiring. He looks like a big stiff. I have no doubt he can shoot, but
> there's a reason the Knicks are talking about making him a center-he's not
> nearly athletic enough to play anywhere else.

Same reason Perkins is a center, as he's short for a big man these days,
but not athletic enough to play PF, or SF for sure.

The good news about Lampe is he's still growing and projected to be 7-1 or 7-2

and seems to be a good rebounder. If he can shoot and rebound and play smart
defense,
his lack of foot speed won't be as much of a  problem at center.

> I think Lampe may be a Chad
> Ford creation brought on by Euro fever. Jason Collier comes to mind-a big,
> slow-footed, sweet-shooting stiff. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'll admit it if I
> am. But be prepared to do the same if it turns out YOU'RE wrong about the
> guy.
>
> Mark

Sure, no problem, and when Malone and Payton blend effortlessly into the
Lakers,
I expect to hear the mea culpas from you too.
Ray