McCarty's defense..

In a message dated 7/9/2003 6:47:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Celtics-Digest-Owner@xxxxxxxx writes:

> On McCarty leaving... his 3pt spot up shooting is replaceable, but his
> defense isn't.  Watch, this move will hurt the Celtics a bit.  Alot of
> times last year Walter was the winning factor because of 4th quarter
> turnovers/breaks/rallys he caused.  Especially at center with the quick
> team on the court.  Name one other NBA player that was assigned to guard
> Iverson, McGrady, AND Jermaine even at crunchtime.

I disagree..his best value to the team was his ability to can the open three
pointer.
He has a nice shot if he is left wide open. Cover him like in the Jersey
series and that disappears.

Truthfully, the three was about the only thing he did really well. His
athleticism and defense were both overrated, IMHO. He wasn't really a skilled
defender..just a hustle guy. As a tweener he is too slow to cover the little guy and
too weak to cover the big guy. He can be exploited on the defensive end by a
smart coach.

Walter is a good athlete who hustles some..but he really lacks basketball
skills. He was your triple threat  bad passer, bad handle and bad rebounder. For
all his hustle on the court..guy seems to be pretty lazy with regard to
improving his game off the court.

I think he overrates his own value. There are some very solid FA's out there
who will have to settle for the veteran's minimum. Its tough for the FA's. The
veteran min isn't an insult..I doubt every team will offer him that.

I was somewhat msytified by Tommy H's hyping of the guy.. I am glad DA knows
better.

Pete