GUess We NOw Know What Danny was doing in Utah...

C's push for Mailman fails

by Steve Bulpett
Saturday, July 5, 2003

While all indications from Danny Ainge were that this would be a quiet free
agent time for the Celtics, the opposite was true this week.

      Somebody's Got
      To Say It
      The Herald's fearless news coverage consistently gives readers the story
behind the story.
      Get Home Delivery
      Access Columnists
      Subscribe to eEdition

Though the effort ultimately went for naught, Ainge made a serious pitch to
Utah Jazz power forward Karl Malone.

Ainge went to Utah and met with the 39-year-old Mailman at the stroke of
midnight Monday - the precise start of the NBA's free agent negotiating period
(contracts cannot be signed until July 16). There was enough interest there
that Ainge flew to California to meet with Malone and his agent, Dwight
Manley, in the ensuing days.

But the courtship went no further, and there is word now that the 18-year Jazz
star will sign with the Lakers - although Manley insists no final call has
been made.

``We met at 10:01 Mountain Time - which made it July 1 in the East,'' said
Ainge. ``We had a really good conversation. I got enough hope out of it that I
went to LA to meet with Karl and his agent. I think Karl was very receptive to
the possibility of playing for the Boston Celtics. I think it was something
that interested him, and it definitely interested us.

``But I think he realized that he really wanted to stay in the West. I think
that's what it came down to as far as our chances to get him.''

According to sources, the Lakers have an inside track on Malone, but Utah may
still be in the picture.

``I can't comment on anything specific,'' said Manley, ``but Karl has spoken
to some teams. He hasn't made a decision yet, but we'll be working through the
weekend on it.''