Re: Walker

jahill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> >Yet the same fans who vilify Antoine as a general >rule rarely, if ever,
> acknowledge Pierce's shortcomings.  (I'm not directing >that last comment
> specifically to Mark, either.) Go figure.
>
> More then a couple former Celtics and HOF members publicly call Pierce the
> finest scorer in team history. I figure that explains most of the slack
> given Pierce.  Comparing Pierce and Walker is apples and oranges.- <Jim

Nobody gives Antoine any slack for his shortcomings based upon his passing
and ballhandling prowess which is far superior to Pierce.

No, Jim. Lauding Pierce for his scoring prowess and suggesting that entitles
him to a free pass for his shortcomings is apples and oranges.

CeltsSteve

Pierce's shortcomings are minimal and basketball related.  His positives are
tremendous.  The same can't be said for Walker, IMO.

The apples and oranges is that Pierce has a defined role and plays it at the
highest level in team history.

Walker has never played an actual team position to date. His passing and
ball handling are not good enough to play PG and he is not athletic enough
or shoots well enough to play SG or SF.  The question is, can he/will he
play PF on a "team" and use these skills within the PF position?  Will he
stop staring at the ref's while the other team plays 5 on 4?  Will he run
the floor instead of wanting to play PG?  Will he play inside or will he
need to continue to drift to the perimeter because of his lack of
athleticism?  Will he stop the nonsense Tech's?

I know where and how Pierce is going to play.  Can you say the same on
Walker?

I respect Walker's skills. There is much I do like about Walker the person
off the court as well. I just don't like many parts of his game. I just
don't see him, longterm, as a max $ PF on a championship team.  I think the
team needs a taller, more athletic PF who plays inside.

Lauding Pierce for what he brings to the team has nothing to do with a free
pass.  I disagree that Walker is superior in any regard to Pierce on the
court.  They are different players playing different positions with
different levels of defense against them.  They cannot be compared except as
to who, if either, you would want on your team.

<Jim