Re: In the hunt

<Looking at the above standings, I'm quite surprised that there seems
to be only one playoff spot up for grabs. At this point, with no signs of a
surprise finish, there seems to be only nine teams to reckon with. > - JB

Interesting observation, JB.  I don't see how we can miss the playoffs
either.
I might, however, add the Houston/Sprewell/Thomas Knicks as a possible
tenth team to reckon with as the Hornets continue to struggle without
Davis, the Magic without Hill, and a healthy Washington simply without
competitive talent.

< With injuries to three of our five starters, it's no longer acceptable
to think that other teams injuries are what has kept us in the race. > - JB

To every thing there is a season, turn, turn, turn.  Oops, sorry, Bird.
Now JB, what has changed your thinking on this injury thing? Our three
injured starters have neither been out for prolonged periods nor all at the
same time.  Battie has played 16, 26, and 28 minutes in our three games
sans Walker while the underrated yet surprisingly not missed Delk has
played 22, 6, and 0 minutes in those same three games.

Our short-term injuries are a far cry from NY losing McDyess and Miami
losing Mourning for the entire season, Orlando losing Hill for most of the
season, Carter missing 33 of Toronto's first 44 games, and New Orleans
about to suffer the further loss of Baron Davis who is scheduled to miss
3-6 additional weeks with a recent knee injury on top of his recurring
back spasms.

And once again the schedule has played into our hands.  We struggled
to beat 10 -34 Denver sans their only decent player, Juwan Howard
(.435 FG%, 8 RPG, 3 APG, 17 PPG).  We then struggled to beat Orlando
sans Hill and McGrady (.463 FG%,  6.3 RPG, 5 APG, 30.2 PPG).

Thank you McGrady mistress, for delivering Tracy Jr. (he has your eyes)
just in time for our game with Daddybs team.

< I think it's time to consider that the move for Long, the continued
development of Brown, Baker and Bremer and the success of Walter
McCarty have given us a depth that few thought we had. > - JB

And few still think we have?

LONG -  He has played a total of 32 minutes in our last three games so
the jury is still out, although hopefully leaning toward a positive verdict.
Question:  Did we sign Long to eventually back up Walker for the remaining
5.7 MPG at PF, or to eventually replace Baker as second-string center?
I hope it was for the latter purpose.  Too bad luxury tax-wise, that we
didnbt sign Long instead of the nonproductive Wolko to begin with.

BROWN - Continued development? Where and when? Must have missed it.

BAKER -  Continued development? Where and when? Must have missed it.

BREMER - Hanging in there but where is the development? Bremer is
much better than what I previously thought which translates out to
his being a pleasant improvement over what we otherwise have at PG.
Does he have the skills to be our ultimate answer at PG ... probably
not, but who knows?  For now, I am enjoying his maturity, head,
and heart.

McCARTY - Forget about our "depth" - Baker, EWill, and Brown gracefully
filling in for AW.  We have the all-purpose McCarty.  In the last three
games Walter has logged 33.3 MPG, a .394 FG%, .409 3P%, 5 RPG, 4 APG,
and 12 PPG as Toine's principal stand-in.  Except for less shots taken and
total PPG, he has recorded damn near an equal set of stats to AW's.  Yet
like Walker and the little girl with the curl, Walter is very very good
when his threes fall, and very very bad when his threes don't fall.

Meanwhile, in Toine's absence, Pierce has excelled beyond all reasonable
expectations and been mostly responsible for our last two victories.
Who woulda thunk that without AW on the floor to divert the defense
away from him (like this happens?), Pierce could have achieved such
numbers?  Is this guy terrific or what?

 < It pains me to see a twelve million dollar, "rotation guy," at back up
center, but that's what we've got and for now, it's working. > - JB

Yes, we have a 26-18 record DESPITE Baker.  But please donbt get off
on some sort of weird mid-season inner voice (after two consecutive
victories) who whispers bEven if he isnbt doing diddly, I fully believe
the Baker trade is working in its own small way.b  Like what is that
all about?

Baker has added future cap /luxury tax grief to our team.
And it ainbt gonna change and thatbs all I gotta repeat on this otherwise
sunny day.

 Egg