Re: [Celtics' Stuff Re: Nice win

"hironaka@nomade.fr"<hironaka@nomade.fr> wrote:
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:38:02 +0200

Doesn't Chris Herren play for the "Peking Ducks"?

I'd love to get a "Herren" Peking Ducks jersey as a
souvenir from E-Bay. Or to be the headline
writer/publicist for that team.

I lived in Beijing (Peking) for a year in '91. You could
get a Peking Duck banquet and all the Tsingtao you can
possibly drink for around 8-10 dollars back then. That
could serve three big people easily. It was the post-
Tienanmen Square recession I guess. FWIW, my impression
of China is that they love basketball. I read that more
Chinese play organized hoops by far than any country in
the world...its some kind of ridiculous number like 60
million (I don't accurately recall). I'm not assuming the
pro playing level is that high in China, but I imagine
Herren is going up against guards of a fairly high
calibre. I saw lots of street ballhandlers who were way
better and lankier than successful Boston highschool
players. And Chinese guards are ballhogs....Yao Ming
knows this very well.
Now we know why Pierce's jersey is the top-selling one!