Re: Ah well ...

At 07:31 PM 1/22/03 -0800, Peter Delevett wrote:
Really, a 9 point loss is about what we might have
expected tonight against a team that, its record
notwithstanding, still has as much talent as anybody
in the NBA. You gotta love Waltuh for giving the C's
an unexpected boost and a chance to stay in it. And
bless JR Bremer.
Mmmm. JR is looking more and more solid. Tonight where I was viewing the game from a lot closer to the floor than usual I was admiring his classic defensive stance when one on one - feed spread wide and center of gravity low to make it tougher to push past him with a single step.

Couple of other positives that may help us get through the games without Antoine, as we learn to adjust. I thought Kedrick was a bit tentative about consistently using his hops up until tonight, as if for fear of triggering another injury. Not anymore.

I also like what Grant Long showed in the few minutes he played. Especially because the one thing he was NOT was tentative and acting like the new kid in town and bless him, he went immediately to the boards after missed shots. Cecil's right about what an annoyance it is that no one else follows up shots. If it's any basis to judge, he may play a key role in a few weeks. Wish he had played more tonight, but I suppose they're still being cautious about the borken hand..

Can somebody please explain to me, though, why Baker
got only 20 minutes? I understand all his liabilities
... but at some point, O'Brien has to stop being
pig-headed and realize, "Hey, this guy has a
double-figure career scoring average, maybe I should
make sure he gets more than 2 FG attempts when we're
playing without Walker."
Peter, he loses the ball whenever you pass it in to him. We can't afford the wasted possessions and turnovers that are damned near automatic. While he won't get out of his own way to move to catch a pass (and it's basketball 101 that you want to feed him the ball slightly away from the man guarding him to make it harder to intercept) as Paul found out twice tonight or to grab a rebound that doesn't just fall in his hands for a putback. He HAS gotten better. And FWIW, since he always had nice soft hands (so it's not a matter of vitalyism), I think the turnover thing can be addressed over the summer with some targeted strengthening and technique drills. But I don't think it's just a matter of Obie being pigheaded. And honestly, Walter matches up on Kukoc better anyway. We lost this game defending the guards, not at center.

Kim