Re: relevance of all-star game

     Jim, I agree with 2/3 of what you say.  I think the slam dunk contest is
a joke for all the reasons mentioned.  And I dislike an all-star game
determining anything other than who wins the all-star game.
  But all that being true, I sort of enjoy the NBA all-star game precisely
because of what it is and isn't.  It is a spectacular exhibition of street
ball which, while not championship caliber, sure is entertaining.  I have
seen bits and pieces of the game about half the years, but don't make a point
of clearing time to watch it.
     As far as picking the teams, the best idea I ever heard was from a
baseball writer some years ago.  This fellow proposed three separate votes:
fans, players (or managers?  and managers?) and writers.  Any player who was
chosen by two groups (I.e., by writers and players, or players and fans) got
the start.  If no one got chosen by two groups, the players' choice got the
nod.  Seems to me that that is a good safeguard against veterans on the
downhill slide getting onto the team, and also gives a solid shot to folks
having a great year.
    - Doug