Re: [Celtics' Stuff Just let it go

The Shaq-Yao matchup is being hyped in a fun way by the
media, but it looks to be a painful mismatch this year.
The stats aren't close, Yao is 50-60% of Shaq's level
across the board. Bird and Magic were in the NBA before
Yao was even born.

This would be a good opportunity for Shaq to show some
class/sportsmanship before or after the game. But I know
he'll try to go for 40 and foul Yao out during the game,
as he should. If this were boxing, I'd fear for Yao's
life.

As for Shaq's comments, I'd blame it on insensitivity if
he worked in another part of the country, but Shaq plays
in a city where Asians have been an everyday part of
American life for five generations. I've read there were
considerably over 100,000 people of Chinese decent alone
out there before the first trickle of Italian or Irish
immigrants even began arriving on the East Coast. Almost
all of my Asian-American friends are Lakers and Shaq
fans. Its the team and city they feel most comfortable
with.

Back in college, and this was way back in the 1980s, my
mainly Asian friends commonly referred to UCLA as
the "University of Caucasians Living Among Asians". It
wasn't meant as a joke. That's just how it was known to
us. Stanford and Cal Tech were already 20% Asian-American
by then. So were most of the other colleges out there.

5th generation Asian-Americans in LA are as ubiquitous as
Irish-Americans in and around Boston. I don't think most
people out there think of Asian-Americans as anything
other than American- not people you need to squint your
eyes at and say "ching chong" to even though they speak
perfectly good English.

A guy like Shaq wouldn't go around mocking Yao's "accent"
without sensing who he might potentially offend.

I don't think Shaq is a racist, but it is doubtful that
he didn't know how retarded he would sound to Americans
whom he unevitably interacts with every day of his life
out there. He doesn't have naivete as an excuse, IMO.

I personally think the media (Brent Musberger and Charles
Barkley) did just as much at Shaq to create an
environment where bashing someone's country of origin
would seem appropriate, even patriotic. Yao's handling
everything really well, so that's good.

I imagine there is some honest resentment over how many
All Star votes Yao has received, but that's just not in
his control. His team has been better than the Lakers
with Shaq, and he didn't sit out a quarter of the season
while his team struggled. And the NY Times reported that
the Yao-Shaq vote tally in America is nearly identical to
that in China, despite Musberger's alarmist quote about
Asian hordes stuffing the ballot.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?