The schedule

Obviously rather than to allow slippage, its the Celtics'
coaching staff's job to stay positive and set some goals
this month. A bunch of teams turned around on a dime in
December out of worse holes, notably but not just Phoenix
and Portland.

The Celtics basically face a playoff schedule throughout
January. They either aren't up to it, or the team can
play again as well as we looked earlier in the year.
Boston needs to hold opponents to 90-91 points per game
to start with. Under 43% shooting by opponents needs to
be a given.

The Celtics, incidentally, will try to go three straight
months with a winning record, after going 10-3 in
November and 9-7 in December. How tall an order is that?

They are still hanging in at 5 games over .500 thanks to
the early cushion, but have been playing .500 ball since
December 1st. That's a kinder way of saying that they've
given back all the ground they had since the end of
November, as far as games over .500.

When you break the season down into 10 game units, Boston
is 1-2 on the current stretch that will carry them nearly
to the midseason point (40 games).

That's the salient point. Don't panic now. When all is
said and done this difficult jump-off-the-bandwagon
month, its still a LONG season. We can't give up on any
games on this schedule, because the Spring months are
packed with winnable games down the homestretch.

The Celtics are 0-2 in January, which is arguably the
most challenging month on the schedule. Can they win 7 of
11 to finish above .500 this month?

The next four road games are basically playoff tune-ups.
The Celtics definitely need to try to steal a win early,
maybe down in New Orleans, and then go get one out of
three on the Texas trip.

But let's not look anymore at our cumulative losses,
and "potential" length of losing streaks. The Boston
players will have to erase the slate. The NBA is
obviously too tough for teams with a losing streak
mentality. They can't go into games afraid of losing,
even in the back of the back of their minds. We shouldn't
just try to win, we should expect to win the next game.

Last night we let an MJ team hang around, a grand faux
pas particularly since Jordan Rules are alive and well
when the game is close. The Celtics could have gone up by
10 or 11 probably on ten different 2nd half occasions
last night, but the 3-ball didn't drop.

Stackhouse probably will get locked out of this All Star
game, but that had to be the most impressive shooting
display by a Celtics opponent all year. When you are that
explosive and accurate, the game looks too easy. On
nights like that, he just seems like the best player on
the floor by far.

Breaking over the 20 win barrier has been surprisingly
hard. I anticipated we could do it last night. The
Celtics need to bust right through, and hopefully it will
be the start of another consistent stretch where Boston's
defense takes even good teams out of their games.

Joe

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?