RE: Vin Baker

I feel quite strongly that he should be disciplined/suspended if he shows up to work/practice while inebriated.  If that is what happened remains to be seen.

Cecil

-----Original Message-----
From: Berry, Mark S [mailto:berrym@BATTELLE.ORG]
Sent: February 27, 2003 1:47 PM
To: 'celtics@igtc.com'
Subject: Vin Baker

I don't understand how the Celtics could suspend Vin. Alcohol isn't a banned
substance. Lots of players drink. How do you discipline the amount a player
drinks? I just don't see how you could suspend a guy for that. If he takes a
leave of absence, that's different. It's semantics, but I would think it
would be important for contractual purposes (not to mention journalistic
purposes).

Stephen A. Smith, the NBA writer, was on the radio this morning. He
basically said Vin's drinking was common knowledge. Everyone knew about it.
Said Vin also is famous for frequenting strip clubs. He said none of this
was a secret to anyone (except, apparently, the Celtics). He blamed Vin
(rightly) for all his own problems, but blamed the Celtics for trading for
him. He basically said the most rudimentary research would have convinced
any team they'd be crazy to trade for Vin, so the Celts have no one to blame
but themselves.

By the way, you all know how I feel about Baker. But if the Celtics start
treating him poorly (not in terms of playing time-all's fair when it comes
to PT) in an effort to convince him to retire or accept a buyout, that's
terrible. I WANT him to retire or accept a buyout, but the Celtics made
their own bed in this mess. They shouldn't try to badger Vin into solving
the problem for them.

Mark