As Obie sows, so shall he reap

<< 'We've got to look at the film and see what we did wrong and how we
 let that game slip away from us,'' said Walker (22 points, 11 rebounds,
 8 assists). ''They went zone and it slowed us down a little bit. We
 weren't really prepared for them to go zone. We were scoring at will.
 We built a comfortable lead. It was a good adjustment by them. They
 forced us to stay outside and shoot jump shots.

 ''We've got to look at that. More teams may try to do that. It's a
 learning experience for us. We've got to get a couple more better plays
 against the zone to where we can get inside and attack the basket.''

News flash to Walker and Obie. Play a zone against the Celtics is in every
scouting report. Everyone including Chris Wallace has known that since the
Nets shut us down using it against us in the ECFs. That is why Wallace
attempted to get us another option with inside scoring with Baker. Now there
is no denying that some of Baker's skills have diminished. Yet, there could
be a time in the game where you could go to that option just like the Pistons
used to do with  James Edwards. But Obie has tunnel vision on his view on how
centers are supposed to play. You can really confound the Cs if you play a
zone and have a big, shotblocking center like Ming or a Bradley...

For some reason, Obie played Kedrick last night, extensively. I do not know
why this night was any different than any other night. Kedrick did post up
the Cat one time and scored easily after Walker got him the ball. Then we had
to watch Kedrick do what the coach wanted and launch the threes again. I was
slightly disappointed to watch the Cat blow by Kedrick as he tried to poke it
from behind, EWill's favorite tactic. Kedrick has the speed to cut off the
drive but has to give up the body in doing so. You don't want Kedrick
learning bad habits from a player tremendously slower than you. I was always
instructed to never try that because it means you have already been beat off
the dribble. Kedrick otherwise looked very active on defense. But what does
it matter? I'm sure this was just a attempt to keep his interest. Like with
the centers, an athletic two without three point range doesn't fit Obie's
mold....

I would also like to point out why we match up so poorly with the Nets. They
have the motion (Princeton) offense with the backdoor cutting that seems to
be the antithesis of the Dick Harter defense. They play a effective zone on
us. They are molded for the fast break and we have poor transition defense.
As pointed out last night by Tommy, our only offensive option when a team
puts a zone on us is to shoot the three. If we don't make them, we are
doomed. We came back against the Nets in the ECFs when PP starting
penetrating. (That tactic's effectiveness was only reduced by the refs who
began to reinterpret the charging rule by saying Kidd's fit didn't to be set
when he was throwing his body in front of PP's drives.) However, we also had
some penetration by Kenny that produced some baskets. Now, we don't even have
that. Therefore, you have to conclude that with what Obie is going with right
now that we don't have the firepower of last year....

I have to admit that the defense looked much more crisp with Blount in there
instead of Baker. He is much quicker than Baker. Yet, Obie still went with
Walter at center at the start of the fourth. That tactic has worked before so
I guess I concurred. However, I thought Obie should have come back with
Walter instead of EWill at the end of the game to give them more offense
firepower....

The bottom line is that as Obie sows, so shall he reap....