re: Blount

From : " hironaka@xxxxxxxxx "< hironaka@xxxxxxxxx >

First off, I think it is clear Obie is getting his way
over Chris Wallace. It is not the best career move for
Wallace to do this trade.
Truly wacky. I'm actually not as disappointed as I would have thought I would have been at the prospect of Mark Blount's return. I mean, he's a seven-footer who knows the system. Tony Battie is hurt. Blount can block shots.

But, I think I'm probably just numb. Blount can't rebound. He's shooting under 40% for the season (insert requisite "he'll fit in real well here" joke here), and this from a guy who shouldn't take anything over 7-8 feet away from the hoop. Actually, Mark Blount's not a terribly bad acquisition, it's just that you could have kept him for a much lower price. Instead of giving away the expiring contract of a guy who is part of the guard rotation, and a second rounder, you could just have re-signed him at the end of last year. Oh, right, Gaston didn't want to put the crowbar to the checkbook. You may think I'm just putting it to Gaston again, and, well, I am. But merely as a tangential precursor. Because once Gaston let Blount go (if such was the case), there's no real reason to exacerbate the situation but overspending for said Blount. Truly, truly wacky.

(Well, at least we got Mark Bryant as a Wolko replacement. I was worried there for a sec. Who was going to keep the bench warm?)

Back in the real world, it makes you wonder just how unhealthy Tony Battie is.

One more thing, though, what is the deal with Wallace's penchant for trading with Denver? Can't we branch out from that? This probably has more to do with Blount than the team he was playing with, but still, CW seems to do a lot of deals with Nugget management.

Poor Chris Wallace. Its noble of him to fall on the
sword. I hope his parents haven't already converted his
basement office into a recreation den.
Indeed. I wouldn't wager anything of even the remotest value to me that Wallace won't be fired during the off-season. The Great Birdini (Prognosticator Extraordinaire) says "Dead man trading!" Though, of course, the effects of his work will be felt for ... oh, about three more years, if nothing changes for the better.

Allow me a moment of unbridled optimism. Sure would like to see Larry Joe take charge and do that voo-doo that he do so well. There. It's passed.

You-know-who delenda est.

Bird