7 Vin trades

I certainly hope for the best for Vin as a person but feel like we have to do whatever we can to rid the team of him -- if either (a) Obie isn't going to use him, (b) the team is starting to turn on him and/or (c) he has a problem that he's not getting treated.

I've watched only a handful of games this year but have been astonished by how often Baker shies away from the action on both ends of the court. Maybe this is adjustment, but it seems the team is screaming for him to come in w/ energy and passion. I was 60-40 against the trade at the time, and have become almost 100% so since seeing Baker play and thinking that we could have a Abdur Rahim or Brian Grant for KA's expiring contract. Ooh it gets ME depressed thinking about this.

Can we trade Baker? Can we get someone as productive as Erick Strickland or Grant Long w/o further hurting our future cap situation? Probably not but here are a few *slim* possibilities [all work on RealGM; The # in parenthesis is the # of years left on a players' deal.]

1. Shammond, Baker and Philly's #1 pick to INDIANA for Ron Mercer (1), Austin Croshere (4) & Primo Brezec (3)

I don't want Croshere for Walker but would take him for Baker & Philly's #1. Mercer would provide some kick off the bench and his contract coupled with EWilliams' next year might actually let us sign a mid-level guy.

Indiana might do this only b/c (a) they want cap room (this adds about 7 mil) for signing O'Neal and the Millers and (b) b/c they want to get rid of Croshere's contract. One thing Baker isn't really doing is complaining about playing time and they could just sit him on the bench and not worry about it. They are stocked enough where it might be worth getting rid of Croshere's contract.

2. Baker + Philly's #1 to CLEVELAND for Michael Stewart (2), Bimbo Coles (1), Chris Mihm (2) and Dsanga Diop (3)

Hey adding Baker might help them lose more games, thereby getting LeBron! None of these
folks is playing any sort of important role for the Cavs.

3. Baker to GOLDEN ST. for Danny Fortson (4 yrs remaining) & Erick Dampier (3 yrs)

The only reason Golden St. is b/c Fortson is a timebomb waiting to happen. They out of his contract a year earlier. We at least get someone who can defend and rebound. Is it worth 2 contracts that are as long/longer than Baker's? The one thing is that both are at least somewhat useful players and somewhat tradeable commodities.

4. Baker & Philly's #1 to MINNESOTA for Terrell Brandon (2) and Marc Jackson (4)

Not sure either side would really do this. Minn will probably hold onto Brandon's salary and use it as bait; Jackson doesn't really play in Minn, but his deal is longer than Bakers (although at less money). Minn gets a pick back that they lost in the Joe Smith fiasco.

5. Baker & PHilly's #1 to NEW YORK for old friend Travis Knight (1), Shandon Anderson (4) and Othella Harrington (2).

Doubt NY parts with Harrington so easily but Knight and Anderson for a #1 pick? They are clearly rebuilding.

6. Baker & Pilly's #1 to Houston for Glen Rice (1) and Kelvin Cato (3)

Don't know that Houston would do this but they don't need Cato w/ Ming and Rice is on the downside (although being productive for them). The bait is of course Philly's #1. Rice would fit right in here though, huh?

7. Baker to DALLAS for Shawn Bradley (5), Evan Eschmeyer (4) and Tariq Abdul-Wahad (4)

I don't know that I'd really want to do this one, but we at least get a few serviceable players out of the deal. It'd be interesting to see the C's use Bradley. Intersesting -- not necessarily productive.

Well here's hoping Wallace can pull something out of his hat. The Baker trade was a mistake. No sense in denying it. But maybe we can salvage SOMETHING