Re: Baylor not holding back

In a message dated 2/2/2003 2:03:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lapdoggy@sbcglobal.net writes:

> Now a question for you. Do you think Baylor would have pulled off that
> trade for Baker if he was in Wallace's shoes?

I don't think anyone but Wallace and maybe Baker's parents would have made
that deal.  I was thinking how surprised I am that this team is only one game
behind last year's pace.  Finally the difference hit me:  last year's team
was on the way up - the future lay ahead.  Now we're on the way down and
there is no future.  Sure, we may make the ECF again, or at least the second
round, but will this team ever attain the heights of Utah?  (Utah being the
Best Team Never To Have Won a Title.)  The Jazz made it to the Finals twice
and were oh so close once to winning it all.  I doubt that the Baker-lead
Celtics (and that is NOT a typo, rather a reference to his feet and hands)
will ever make the Finals, and, quite frankly, they will have to be real
lucky to make it back to the ECF.  To move ahead, we have to move one of the
three big contracts, and no one will take Baker.  Therefore, I think that the
WalkerPierce era is entering its terminal phase.  That's really too bad -
Boston is lucky to have them, but the Baker trade was just a stake through
the heart.
- Doug