Kim wrote:

>>Regardless, I'm with you that I think it is going to be a good team in a
year or so and increasingly fun to watch. The question is how good and how
much fun they gel into. And you know what, I'm tired of the idea that only
the most negative are being realists and saying things like that means
having to be called an optimist. Seems to me the people who see nothing but
doom and gloom and refuse to admit the possibility of anything else are at
least as unrealistic as the sort of mildly positive thoughts they put down
as silly optimism.<<

I guess I've been in both camps so far.  I think my thoughts on the team had
everything to do with the product on the floor at that time.

I, like many others (including Ainge) felt that we'd gone about as far as we
could with the cast that got to the eastern conference finals.  That was a
decent team, and no doubt a shot in the fans arm after a near decade of being on
the outside of the playoffs looking in.  But I did not, and do not think that
team had the stuff to realistically contend for a championship.  I hated
Antoine's game, in spite of the fact that he was really good on occasion; but too
often he played knucklehead ball.  We all have our opinions on Antoine, and no
post is gonna change anybody's mind at this point.  I'll just add that I
really hated the style that they'd played the last few years.  Just brutal to
watch.  Seemed so un-Celtic like.  They were a hard team for me to like.  Whether
you want to call that pessimistic, realistic, whatever label you choose, that's
what I felt.

Now, to sing a different tune... I'm more optimistic about this teams future
than I have been for years.  I really like what Ainge has done so far.  It's
still a work in progress, but I think next year we'll better be able to gauge
the impact of the trades, draft picks, etc.  LaFrentz should be back and
contributing better than this year.  We should know what shakes out with all our
draft picks, and what, if anything is done with Mills expiring contract.
Regardless, we're younger, and I think, more talented... with more draft choices, and
a better balanced club (though still front court heavy... at least not 23
swings anymore).

I even have some new found respect for Obie... not as an in-game coach mind
you, but as a guy who gets guys on the same page.  I'm not particularly a fan
of his, but he's been the proverbial good soldier through all these trades, and
to give him his due, the team keeps winning in spite of the turnover.  I
gotta respect that.

Anyway, it was just hard to like the team when Antoine was its leader.  For
me anyway.

I really think we're on the right track, and that Ainge has done a remarkable
job so far.