little things

-- anyone else catch what looked like Jiri barking at Antoine several times after taking it to the hoop. man that was great. forget Waltah -- I LOVE JIRI!

-- Was Ricky's dunk the best first basket by a Celtic? He looked a little lost otherwise -- but I'm on board with this trade. Mihm came in and looked aggressive on the boards.

-- I would have been cheering when Antoine was introduced -- and booing him in the 4th, he's no longer a Celtic. And every problem he had as a Celtic was on display (maybe its the FleetCenter): the off balance 3 at the end when they could have gotten a better 2; the turnover on a wild drive on the 2nd to last possession, the wildly inconsistent shooting. I felt bad for him though -- i would have loved him to have a triple double and lose the game.

-- Paul Pierce, on the other hand, will have his number hanging in the rafters if he keeps this up. I dare say that he's even better than last season and has stepped up his team-game. He's rebounding like a monster.

-- Bill Walton can alternately kill me and drive me up the wall. His hyperbole can be amusing -- when he was going on about "basketball being a celebration of life and health" i was dying laughing -- and i love that he doesn't take himself too seriously, but he kept missing when players were put in the game and he needs to learn when to be quiet sometimes. But i love his spirit.

-- Stephen Smith (ESPN pregame) however takes himself way TOO serious and is just downright irritating. he knows some of his shit -- from the articles I've read by him -- but he acts like Ainge is trading All-Stars for 12th men. He kept going on and on about how Ainge is blowing up the team and that they're headed to the Lottery. If I could I'd bet him a week's pay they not only avoid the lottery, but win the Atlantic.

-- Obie. I too was incredulous when the said Waltah was starting. But one thing is becoming clear: what Obie might lack in in-game coaching (esp. on offense) he more than makes up for in managing the team and its collective psyche. The Celtics play like Celtics should -- hard, with fire. And I love the story they told that they couldnt' practice with the new players so Obie talked to them for a couple hours as a team about what it means to be a Celtic, what he expects form them, etc. Did you catch O'Brien's reaction when they won -- i don't know if anyone wanted it more than he. i'm starting to rethink Obie. It seems more and more like the offense of the last 2 years may have been a strategic choice given the talent -- because with the cast Ainge has assembled they are moving the ball around much more. Maybe some of the infamous "walker grip" was really on Obie.

-- this was the best Celtics win since they made it to the EC finals. well beating the Pacers was nice last year, but they really gutted this one out -- and its sweeter b/c you KNOW they wanted it.

- (the other) mark