Re: losing LaFrentz

Eggcentric@xxxxxxx wrote:

< His (Kedrick) biggest problem is not lack of intelligence (though he's no Jiri Welsch in that regard), but an astounding (given his physical gifts) lack of confidence. > - kkv (Is that you, Kestas?)

Keep in mind that former Halliburton employee, Dr. Jonathan Inniedofacontractnagel, several months ago tested Kedrick out at a 70+ IQ with a self-confidence trailing indicator of 4.6. Thank God for the + since I believe the team's cutoff point is 70.

I'm not sure what to make of this info, since 1) I don't know what the right boundary of the '70+' range is (is it 75? 90? 150?); and 2) I don't know what this 'self-confidence trailing indicator of 4.6' is.
And even if I DID know, it's unclear what the relevance of this test is. The type of test that is used can make a huge difference - I know of tests from the early 1900s that relied on solely on declarative knowledge so idiosyncratic as to favor only members of certain classes. All of us would score in the 'moron' range on a test like this (and yes, 'moron' used to be a term in the scientific literature, invented to describe people between the 'idiot' and 'feeble-minded' categories). Furthermore, given "Dr." Niednagel's sterling scientific credentials, I'm not sure he'd be able to test a kindergartener on her knowledge of the alphabet, let alone select and administer a proper intelligence test. And in the unlikely event that he could, I wouldn't put it past him to select a test to confirm his evaluation of poor Kedrick.

Anyway, this is not to contest your assertion that Kedrick is probably not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, at least academically speaking. I'm sure he didn't grow up in the most intellectually stimulating environment. But the question is, does it matter that much, in the basketball sense, that he probably can't hold up his end of the conversation about Heidegger's vs. Kierkegaard's existentialism, or instantly tell you the cubic root of 729? Bobby Fisher was a high school dropout who couldn't even follow the conversation at dinner with the typically erudite Soviet grandmasters. But that didn't prevent him from humiliating them on the chessboard.

My point is that it doesn't matter that Kedrick's no Rhodes scholar as long as he can play intelligently on the basketball court. And, at least lately, he doesn't seem to be doing dumb things on the court. He makes fairly intelligent passes, plays good D, and gets tough rebounds. What he doesn't do often enough is take the shot when it's there. He's just awfully timid. Obie doesn't tolerate people who refuse to take the open shot, and rightly so, because defenses start cheating on you. I wish Ainge invested less money in testing Kedrick, and more in counselling him. That might actually be productive.
Kestas