expansion theory

We can't see six months out easily, but I enjoy the strategy of figuring our great eight and planning a draft scenario to match.  We will probably all agree on five or six "untouchables" and then clash over the others.  For now, I think we retain Pierce, Banks, Perkins, Welsch, LaFrentz and ???  My guiding principle is "Who cannot be replaced by the Dallas pick or by one of our other remaining players?"  Right now, that's Baker, I think, but after that I'm not sure.  (Salary and age issues here).  It could also be Blount, someone I would usually hang out to dry next summer.  Or Hunter.  I would be less concerned about losing Brown, Jones, James, Battie, or McCarty.  So, for now I would add Baker, Blount and either Hunter or Brown to make eight.

The draft should be easy.  We don't need, in theory, a center.  Thus, with picks #16 and 23 (or so) we get the best player.  Cheers, Gene