Former Celtics player Eric Montross retires

Associated Press

TORONTO -- Toronto Raptors center Eric Montross is retiring because of a lingering foot injury, the team announced Tuesday.

Montross hasn't played since breaking a bone in his left foot while stepping over a child safety gate at his home in the spring of 2002.

"The injury that I have sustained cannot be addressed satisfactorily to get me back onto the court," the 7-foot, 270-pound Montross said in a statement.

The 31-year-old Montross averaged 4.5 points and 4.6 rebounds in eight NBA seasons.

Montross played with six teams in the NBA -- Boston, Dallas, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Detroit and Toronto. He enjoyed a stellar collegiate career at the North Carolina and helped the Tar Heels to the NCAA title in his junior season.