Re: Financial gains - Moneyball

Coincindentally, I just started reading this book on
Monday....and it is worthy of all the praise that has
been heaped on it.  I would recommend it to anyone
that has every dreamed of running his or her own
team....

And if we wanna talk about the undercurrent of the
book (which one of the articles attempts to describe),
I would say that it runs alongside the longtime
epistemological (that is, what do we know and how do
we know it and is that knowledge reliable) borders
between tradition and reason.  For years, baseball
(and I would venture to guess all sports) had been run
along traditional ideas of how to play the game (i.e.,
you're up there to hit the ball, not walk....or as
Dominican's are fond of saying, "You don't walk off
the island.") that gave more worth to a base hit than
to a walk (they SHOULD be equal, since they both get
you to first).  Furthermore, certain stats were, in
baseball, traditionally held up as good indicators of
worth, such as RBI's.  However, through statistical
analysis, Billy Beane and boys (Bill James, the
baseball writer is in the book as well), determined
that certain other stats were better indicators of
offensive performance (on-base percentage and the
OPS).  Thus, in the end, reason is shown to overtake
tradition (one of the best analogies in the book is by
Beane...he says that baseball knowledge of today is
analogous to medical knowledge in the 18th Century).

The question we need to ask is whether the same
revolution can be fostered in basketball.  And so that
would be my question to the list....are there any
stats out there that you feel are especially
inconclusive and not stable indicators of worth?  My
first thought on such a subject invariably turns to
assists....like RBI's, assists are often just the
product of being in the right place and the right time
and are not stable indicators of the player's ability
to find open teammates or to pass.

Ryan