Re: Who are the 6 pure point guards left ?

>>Who do you think Ainge was thinking of, when he said there's only 6 pure
point guards left in the league?>>

  This article seems very timely.  If nothing else it should be good for some
discussion.

August 7, 2003
NBA Point Guards-- The Coming Season
Joe Schaller

Point guards and centers, arguably the most difficult positions to fill. The
point requires a combination of skills difficult to find. Many good scorers
are poor ballhandlers such as Steve Francis, Gilbert Arenas and Allen Iverson.
They are better suited for 2-guard. Likewise some of the best ballhandlers are
poor scorers, such as Jamaal Tinsley and Kevin Ollie.

Oddly enough the top point guard in the league, Jason Kidd, has had his
problems with both scoring and ballhandling. I have previously referred to this as
the "Marbury Syndrome", characterized with low percentage shooting and high
turnover rate. Both Stephon Marbury and Kidd have improved in these areas yet
still overrated. Kidd's forte has always been rebounding and defense. By
contrast, Steve Nash is an exceptional ballhandler and scorer with more
Stockton-esque point guard skills than Kidd.
The primary hangup of the mainstream pundits since the dawn of basketball has
been the judgement of ballhandling skills by simply tallying assists. The
assist is certainly a positive however its actual value when correlating with
wins and losses is highly overrated. Assists are meaningless unless taken in
context with turnovers. Turnovers are the true indicator of ballhandling ability
since they are a far greater negative than the assist is a positive. In fact
assist/turnover ratio for a team correlates much closer to success or failure
than does total assists.

Due to this tremendous oversight (incredibly, turnovers weren't even tallied
until 1977) a rich mythology of point guard status continues to thrive. While
the turnover prone likes of Isiah Thomas, Pete Maravich and Jason Williams (in
his early years) have drawn considerable praise, other point guards with
superior all around skills have been unjustly forgotten. Fat Lever, an exceptional
ballhandler, tops my list of underrated point guards. Gus Williams had a
superior career to Thomas yet has been overlooked for media honors such as the
Hall of Fame and is rarely even mentioned by the spin doctors.
Tragically, due to an ignorant media NBA history is flawed.

The Greatest Point Guard of All Time
I rate Magic Johnson as one of the greatest players of all time however John
Stockton is easily the greatest point guard of all time with his far superior
ballhandling skills. Magic's strengths were scoring and rebounding while
operating more as a point forward. It is a little known fact that Johnson is one of
the all time point guard leaders in turnovers per minute for his career.
Stockton's assist/turnover ratio is stellar and his 19 year career with one team
is maybe the greatest individual achievement in NBA history.

On the average a player's performance begins to decline around the age of 32.
As a testimony to his amazing longevity I present John Stockton's yearly TPR
since the '95 season when he was 33.

John Stockton TPR

1995__140

1996__123

1997__124

1998__119

1999__124

2000__125

2001__127

2002__128

2003__121

In rating point guards my primary consideration is TPR, an indicator of
productivity per minute played. Previous 3 years TPR are considered along with age
and team change to obtain a projected TPR for the coming season. I have
included several 2-guards and sixth men with good ballhandling skills who often take
on point responsibilities.

TPR scale: 120+ superstar, 100+ allstar, 80+ starter, 65+ bench, 60 = min
wage
Point Guards Projected TPR for '03-'04

Jason Kidd, NJ__138
Steve Nash, Dal__125
Steve Francis, Hou__122
Chauncey Billups, Det__120
Gary Payton, LAL__115
Baron Davis, NO__112
Jason Terry, --__111
Stephon Marbury, Pho__110
Bobby Jackson, Sac__110
Andre Miller, Den__108
Sam Cassell, Min__108
Gilbert Arenas, Was__105
Brent Barry, Sea__105
Tony Parker, SA__104
Mike Bibby, Sac__102
Jon Barry, --__100
Jamal Crawford, Chi__97
Derek Anderson, Por__95
Charlie Ward, NY__95
Aaron McKie, Phi__94
Alvin Williams, Tor__94
Eric Snow, Phi__92
Nick Van Exel, Dal__90
Jason Williams, Mem__90
Larry Hughes, Was__90
Speedy Claxton, GS__90
Troy Hudson, Min__88
Marko Jaric, LAC__88
Antonio Daniels, Sea__86
Tony Delk, Bos__85
Earl Watson, Mem__85
Erick Strickland, Mil__84
Rod Strickland, --__82
Kevin Ollie, Cle__82
Earl Boykins, Den__82
Darrell Armstrong, NO__80
Damon Stoudamire, Por__80
Derek Fisher, LAL__80
Jamaal Tinsley, Ind__80
Travis Best, --__76
Bob Sura, GS__75
Tyronn Lue, Orl__75
Shammond Williams, --__75
J R Bremer, Cle__75
Chucky Atkins, Det__75
Damon Jones, Mil__74
Kenny Anderson, --__70
Penny Hardaway, Pho__70
Jeff McInnis, Por__70
Moochie Norris, Hou__70
Chris Whitney, --__70
Brevin Knight, Mem__70
Rafer Alston, --__70
Howard Eisley, NY__68

Underrated Point Guards: I've been saying it for years, Charlie Ward is an
excellent point guard whose talent is being wasted in New York. If Dallas could
obtain Ward and Kurt Thomas for likely a steal it would be a huge acquisition
and put the Mavs back in the Western elite.

Underrated Allstars
Charlie Ward
Chauncey Billups
Jason Terry
Jon Barry
Brent Barry

Most Improved: Jason Williams was a horrible ballhandler in Sacramento and
the media gushed all over him for his showboat passes. Jason's come a long ways
in Memphis and now has my highest NBA rating for ballhandling. Now the pundits
are silent. Go figger!

Point Guard Performance Ratings (PR) for '02-'03
PR for Ballhandling
Jason Williams__230
Gary Payton__201
Steve Nash__191