Re: Ford article

Here you go...

Five trades we'd like to see
By Chad Ford
NBA Insider
Send an Email to Chad Ford
Wednesday, August 6

Now that the NBA free-agent frenzy has finally wound down, it's time for
the NBA trading season to get into full gear. To date, there has been only
one major trade -- the four-team deal that swapped four guys no one else
wanted -- Latrell Sprewell, Keith Van Horn, Glenn Robinson and Terrell Brandon.

That's a major disappointment when you consider how many top teams struck
out in the free-agent market this summer.

The Mavericks haven't answered the moves by the Lakers, Spurs, Kings and
T-Wolves. The Jazz replaced two Hall of Famers, Karl Malone and John
Stockton, with, Keon Clark. That $20 million-plus in cap room has to be
good for something. The Blazers are conspicuously quiet, the Pacers have
been on the verge of something for six months, and the Knicks can't rest on
Van Horn and "optimistic" Antonio McDyess.

With the "A" and "B" list free agents off the board, trades are the only
way for teams to upgrade their roster, clear cap space or take care of a
logjam. So far the rumor mill has been surprisingly quiet. It's about time
that changed.

While we can't save everyone, here's our best shot at fixing the Bulls,
Celtics, Sonics, Hawks, Blazers, Mavs, Wizards, Pacers, Sixers, Cavs,
Warriors and Grizzlies in one fell swoop.

In an effort to jump start the process a little, Insider takes a look at
several trades that should happen this summer. Please note that these are
NOT trade rumors or speculation, just trades we'd like to see. However, in
the name of realism, all the trades do conform with collective bargaining
agreement guidelines.

TRADE 1
Antoine Walker to Chicago; Donyell Marshall, Marcus Fizer, Jerome James and
Eddie Robinson to Boston; Shareef Abdur-Rahim to Seattle; Vladimir
Radmanovic, Brent Barry, Eric Williams and Bulls' No. 1 to Atlanta

Why the Bulls should do it: It appears that the Bulls have settled on the
three young players they intend on building around -- Tyson Chandler, Eddy
Curry and Jamal Crawford. Now it's time to think playoffs. The addition of
Scottie Pippen this summer was a move in the right direction, but adding
Walker to the mix finally propels them into playoffs. In return the Bulls
must give up three bench players, which shouldn't be hard to do. They've
been trying to dump Robinson's contract all summer and neither Marshall nor
Fizer has the talent that Walker does. Walker's ability to handle and pass
the ball are perfect in the triangle offense, and spies in Chicago claim
that Walker, a Windy City native, is in the best shape of his career after
intensive workouts this summer. A front line of Chandler, Walker and Curry
will be among the biggest and most versatile in the East. Put them together
with Crawford and Jalen Rose and the Bulls should make plenty on noise this
season. The downside? The Bulls lose some depth on the bench by dumping
Fizer and Robinson.

Projected Starting Five:

PG Jamal Crawford
SG Jalen Rose
SF Tyson Chandler
PF Antoine Walker
C Eddy Curry

Why the Celtics should do it: Danny Ainge claims that he hasn't been
shopping Walker, but the rampant trade rumors surrounding Walker suggest
that where there's smoke there's fire. The Celtics' problem the last few
years has been depth. If Walker or Paul Pierce are having off nights, the
team was doomed. Not anymore. Marshall and Fizer are both versatile enough
to play the four or three. James is the closest thing to a center the
Celtics have had in a long time, even if he is a project. And Robinson's
athleticism should be a nice complement in the backcourt to rookie point
guard Marcus Banks. The downside? Cap flexibility. The Celtics were due to
have Williams off the books next summer. Marshall and James have two years
left on their contracts. Robinson has three. Fizer will be a restricted
free agent next summer. Can the Celtics afford to pay him?

Projected Starting Five:

PG Marcus Banks
SG Eddie Robinson/Kedrick Brown
SF Paul Pierce
PF Donyell Marshall/Marcus Fizer
C Tony Battie/Jerome James

Why the Sonics should do it: Despite having three 7-footers collecting more
than $15 million in salary next year, the Sonics lack a real power forward
or center who can command double teams in the post. Without one, Ray Allen
and Rashard Lewis can't get the open looks they need to knock down the big
shots. While Abdur-Rahim isn't a classic four, he's the best guy available.
He's young, athletic, rebounds and can score in the paint. The Sonics
actually flirted with acquiring him two years ago in a swap for Gary
Payton. A core of Allen, Lewis and Abdur-Rahim is about as good as the
Sonics are going to get given their cap restraints. The downside? The
Sonics give up a lot to get him. Radmanovic still has the trappings of a
star, but he just can't get enough minutes behind Lewis. Barry has played a
big part in the Sonics' success the past two seasons, but he's a free agent
next summer and the team can't afford to keep him. And for all of James'
problems last year, he's still has upside in the middle.

Projected Starting Five:

PG Antonio Daniels
SG Ray Allen
SF Rashard Lewis
PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim
C Vitaly Potapenko

Why the Hawks should do it: Cap space. New owner David McDavid is going to
want to come and put his stamp on the team sooner rather than later.
Abdur-Rahim isn't the problem in Atlanta, but he also isn't a guy you build
around either. Radmanovic is a restricted free agent next summer and Barry
and Williams are unrestricted free agents. If the Hawks pulled the trigger
on the deal, they would be roughly $10 million under the cap next season,
assuming they re-sign Terry. Radmanovic is the key to the deal. He's young,
versatile and should have a breakout year in Atlanta given plenty of
playing time at the three. Barry could also turn into a valuable asset down
the road. His ability to swing between both guard positions should help
Terry's game. The downside? The apathy in Atlanta over the Hawks is already
rampant. Will dumping Rahim, a Georgia native, drive the 15 fans the Hawks
have left away?

Projected Starting Five:

PG Jason Terry
SG Brent Barry
SF Vladimir Radmanovic
PF Theo Ratliff
C Nazr Mohammed

Trade 2
Rasheed Wallace to Washington for Kwame Brown, Jahidi White and Christian
Laettner

Why the Blazers should do it: It's time to clean house. New Blazers GM John
Nash has to rethink everything the Blazers have done the last five years.
On paper, they still have the talent to compete in the West. But in
practice, the team just doesn't work. With five teams in the West already
primed and ready for a run at the title, what's the point of a first-round
playoff exit and more embarrassing off-the-court problems. The team should
start the process right away by shipping Wallace out of town. For all of
his talent, what has he really done for the team? He's an unrestricted free
agent next summer, and third-year forward Zach Randolph is already their
best low-post scorer. Adding Brown takes the sting out of losing Wallace.
Brown has been disappointing his first two years in the league, but he's
still very young and really needs a change of scenery. White and Laettner
are cap fillers. The good news is that they both have only two years left
on their contracts. The downside? Brown continues his listless play.

Projected Starting Five:

See Trade 3 below.

Why the Wizards should do it: With the addition of Gilbert Arenas, the
Wizards now have one of the best backcourts in the East. They need a
frontcourt veteran to complement them and Wallace is a low-risk
proposition. Wallace already has one tour of duty in Washington and spent
two years in North Carolina playing with Stackhouse. If he plays up to his
potential, the Wizards should be one of the top five teams in the East next
season. If he doesn't, he comes off the books next year and the Wizards
drop $17 million below the salary cap during the summer of 2004. The
downside? Kwame catches fire in Portland and averages 20 and 10 for the
rest of his career.

Projected Starting Five:

PG Gilbert Arenas
SG Jerry Stackhouse
SF Jarvis Hayes/Jared Jeffries
PF Rasheed Wallace
C Brendan Haywood

Trade 3
Raef LaFrentz and Michael Finley to Portland for Dale Davis, Ruben
Patterson and Bonzi Wells

Why the Blazers should do it: Because removing one bad apple won't be
enough to change the karma in Portland. If the Blazers can also dump Wells
and Patterson, they have, over night, changed the character of this team
for the better. Finley is an all-star-caliber swingman without the baggage
or inconsistency that Wells brings to the table. LaFrentz isn't the tough
interior defender that Davis is, but when given the minutes, he's one of
the best shot blockers in the league. The downside? The Blazers lose a
little on the talent, but the gains in chemistry should more than make up
for that. Forget about cap space. Both LaFrentz and Finley are locked into
long-term deals.

Projected Starting Five:

PG Derek Anderson
SG Michael Finley
SF Kwame Brown
PF Zach Randolph
C Raef LaFrentz

Why the Mavs should do it: The Mavs are one of the most exiting teams,
offensively, in the NBA. But they lack the toughness on defense to get deep
into the playoffs. Mark Cuban and Co. have struck out in every attempt to
get a blue collar big man. This is the best they can do. Davis may not do
much on offense, but he's a relentless rebounder and a tough low-post
defender. The Mavs will also upgrade their backcourt toughness. Wells is
one of the most physical two guards in the league and Patterson has made a
living shutting down athletic swingmen. The downside? Do you really want to
mess with a good thing? Will the upsurge in toughness kill the great
chemistry the Mavs have? Losing Finley is a high price to pay.

Projected Starting Five:

PG Steve Nash
SG Bonzi Wells
SF Dirk Nowitzki
PF Dale Davis
C Shawn Bradley

Trade 4
Eric Snow and Dajuan Wagner to Indiana; Al Harrington, Jamaal Tinsley and
Sam Clancy to Cleveland; Darius Miles and Fred Jones to Philly

Why the Pacers should do it: They haven't given up on Tinsley, but they
need a veteran to run the point and an explosive two guard who can hit from
the perimeter and get to the basket. Snow is ideal for them because of his
consistency and superior on-the-ball defense. Pair him together in the
backcourt with Artest and you have a lockdown on the perimeter. Put him
together with Wagner, and you could be looking at the next Iverson. The
downside? The Pacers don't want to trade Harrington or Tinsley. Jonathan
Bender will really have to step up for this trade to work for Indy.

Projected Starting Five:

PG Eric Snow
SG Dajuan Wagner
SF Ron Artest
PF Jermaine O'Neal
C Scot Pollard

Why the Cavs should do it: The Cavs don't want to admit it, but they've got
a big logjam in the backcourt. Wagner, Ricky Davis, Miles and LeBron James
is just too much. The team could really use some size, interior scoring and
a real point guard to run the show -- at least until James gets a little
more accustomed to playing in the NBA. In Boston at the Reebok Pro Summer
League, he looked much better playing small forward than he did at point
guard. Miles also looked good in the summer league, but he becomes a
restricted free agent next summer. Can the Cavs afford to keep him?
Harrington gives them a young, athletic big body who can play the three or
the four. Tinsley ranked sixth in the league in assists last year. While he
struggles to be a 40-minutes-a-night guy, with James and Kevin Ollie, there
are plenty of guys out there who can relieve him when he struggles. The
downside? Both Wagner and Miles have big upsides. The Cavs may not be ready
to give up on them just yet.

Projected Starting Five:

PG Jamaal Tinsley
SG Ricky Davis
SF LeBron James
PF Al Harrington/Carlos Boozer
C Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Why the Sixers should do it: Second-year point guard John Salmons looked
great in both summer leagues this year. He has the size, scoring ability
and defensive toughness to step right in and take the starting point guard
job. That leaves the Sixers with a unique opportunity to steal a young,
athletic forward in Miles. Glenn Robinson won't be playing in Philly
forever and Miles looks to still be another year or two away from being a
star. But eventually, an Salmons-Iverson-Miles combination looks pretty
intriguing. The downside? Losing Snow is a tough. He's so steady and such a
superb defender.

Projected Starting Five:

PG John Salmons
SG Allen Iverson
SF Glenn Robinson
PF Kenny Thomas
C Marc Jackson

Trade 5
Erick Dampier and Danny Fortson to Memphis for Wesley Person and Brevin Knight

Why the Grizz should do it: Jerry West is getting impatient. He wants to
win this year and he's willing to pay the price to do it. The Grizzlies'
biggest need is in the middle. Dampier isn't an all-star but he's a big,
tough rebounder and shot blocker. And, he's probably the best big man
available via trade. Fortson's contract is terrible, but he is one of the
premier rebounders in the league and a small price to pay for adding a
legit big man like Dampier. The downside? Forget about cap room for the
next four or five years and start saying luxury tax.

Projected Starting Five:

PG Jason Williams
SG James Posey
SF Mike Miller
PF Pau Gasol
C Erick Dampier

Why the Warriors should do it: GM Garry St. Jean didn't take my advice last
week when I implored the team to make the trades necessary to keep Gilbert
Arenas. Fine. Without Arenas, the Warriors don't have a shot at making the
playoffs in the West. If that's the case, why not raise the white flag now,
get a couple of bad contracts off the books and start over again next
summer. Person and Knight are both in the last year of their contracts. The
trade would put the Warriors roughly $13 million under the cap next season
and allow them to pursue a top-flight point guard via free agency. It also
would put them at the bottom of the standings in the West and give them an
excellent shot at the No. 1 pick in the 2004 NBA draft.

Projected Starting Five:

PG Speedy Claxton
SG Jason Richardson
SF Antawn Jamison