Re: No love from DA

On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 09:32  AM, Berry, Mark S wrote:

> My point is this - I like what Ainge did in the draft. But as for
> improving
> THIS season, I'm not sure. We all hope the style of play changes and
> results
> in improvement, but how often does that really happen? I think it's
> far more
> likely that the team regresses a little due to defensive slippage. They
> slipped a little last season.

	Mark
****************
	There are huge question marks, no doubt.
	Will Baker contribute, or will we suffer through 20+ minutes a game
from Blount? With even the Baker of two years ago, we are a much better
team than we were last season. Didn't he average over 17 points a game
against Eastern conference foes, playing center?
	Who plays the 3? O'Bie's boys; Walter and Eric, or Danny's boys;
Kedrick and Jumaine? It seems to me, that for this team to be balanced,
there has to be a trade for another point guard. I'm convinced that
Ainge acquired Jones to trade either Brown or Williams, or maybe both,
just as he acquired James, in order to trade Bremer.
	Has Danny decided off of summer league, that Kedrick just doesn't have
it and wants a slashing wing, and/or is he planning to use William's
expiring contract to get a quality player, down the line? I don't see
how we can keep all four of them, or expect Delk and James to back up
at the point.
	If Banks exceeds all reasonable expectations, he can give the team
20-25 quality minutes. If we expect to equal or exceed last years win
total and playoff success, we will need another true point guard.
	Can you imagine this team, in transition, having two totally different
offensive styles, for half a game each? Chaos, I say and an invitation
for certain players to coast, or even sabotage the efforts at
instituting a running, movement based, offense.
	If there's no trade, I'm still hoping for Kenny Anderson. Do you
really want a rookie, inclined toward turnovers, to finish close games?
	A rotation of Baker, Delk, McCarty/Jones, Anderson and Hunter puts us
right back in with the elite of the conference.
	Yes, I'm wishing for a lot: a renewed Baker and a trade/signing of a
true point guard, but I think both are necessary for this team to even
equal last year.
	I think Ainge is up to something, with the Jones signing; we'll see.

	JB

Unchain My Heart!