Attack Of The Trust Fund Geeks

COMMENTARY

To each his own: Some owners really get into it

By Dan Shaughnessy, Boston Globe Columnist, 4/30/2003

INDIANAPOLIS -- You are a New England sports fan. You follow the
Celtics, Red Sox, Patriots, and Bruins.

What, exactly, do you want from the owners of your teams?

The question comes to mind in the wake of Jackie MacMullan's report in
yesterday's Globe that Celtic owners Wyc Grousbeck and Steve Pagliuca
admitted making many mistakes in the first four months of their
stewardship of the vaunted franchise. Most alarming, perhaps, was the
admission that during a six-game losing streak in March, Wyc and Steve
sat down with coach Jim O'Brien and discussed game strategy, shot
selection, and playing time for superstars Paul Pierce and Antoine
Walker.

This is exactly the kind of meddling that helped run Bill Parcells out
of town in the early years of Bob Kraft's ownership of the Patriots.
Kraft today is pretty much the model owner in this town. He has built a
beautiful stadium, he's not afraid to spend money, and most important,
he's put his ego on the shelf and allowed Bill Belichick to run the
football operation without interference from ownership.

Kraft's lessons were hard-learned. In his early days, he couldn't resist
getting involved where he didn't belong. In his regrettable Amos Alonzo
Kraft days, he submarined Parcells on the Terry Glenn draft pick,
wouldn't give Tuna the power to shop for the groceries (power he gladly
relinquished to Belichick after learning his lesson), and went so far as
to make a scouting trip to Syracuse to check out Tebucky Jones -- a
player Kraft said might make a nifty ''press corner.''

At the other end of the spectrum, there's Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, a
Montgomery Burns character who runs a bottom-line business from Buffalo
and wouldn't know a hockey puck from a hamburger. B's fans feel cheated
by the absentee, Ozlike regime of Delaware North.

The Red Sox have looked at life from both sides. Tom Yawkey was a
millionaire who bought the Sox the way most of us would buy a new
big-screen television. The Sox were his toy until his dying day. He
spent money and hung around the clubhouse.

Then came the no-accountability era of Jean Yawkey and John Harrington.
There was minimal involvement at the top and no one to provide answers
when things went wrong. Now the Sox are back in the hands of guys who
love baseball (you never know when John Henry might be taking grounders
at short during BP) and address every small issue involving the club.

The new Celtic owners have the same enthusiasm and yahoo involvement
that marked the early years of Kraft, and they're a little surprised at
criticism they're getting. It's understandable. After all, they replaced
Paul ''Thanksdad'' Gaston, who was universally ripped for being a
bloodless bottom-liner, rarely seen at the New Garden.

We always had the feeling Gaston didn't care about basketball, only
bucks (a hoop version of the loathed Jacobs). Now we have guys who are
practically calling plays from the owner's box and we're ripping them.

Where's the middle?

''I'm not so sure that's not what we have now,'' O'Brien said after
yesterday's shootaround practice. ''I've only worked for two ownerships.
These new owners are dramatically different from the Gastons. They
should have fun with this and I hope they can.

''I've heard the word `meddlesome.' I don't think they are like that at
all. I'm like every employee. I have to be accountable for my decisions.
If they have a question about something, we'd better be accountable.
They've never criticized what we are doing and they've never one time
suggested anything about basketball.

''I don't think anybody should have to apologize for having passion and
enthusiasm. If you have to apologize for that, shame on you.''

Grousbeck and Pagliuca took some body blows after wearing Celtic warmup
jackets to the first game in Indiana. Grousbeck was on hand and in Wall
Street garb last night, but the pair make no apologies for their
enthusiasm or commitment. ''I wish it would be noted that the Celtics
would not have paid a luxury tax next year under the old ownership,''
Grousbeck said.

O'Brien, who has only one year left on his contract, is saying all the
right things about the new guys. Why not? They just took care of his
assistants for another year and he's looking good for an extension. It
was nice to see Red Auerbach flexing his muscles again. Red told the new
guys that the assistants deserved an extension, and the Green
Godfather's wish was granted.

But in the end, no matter what Red says or what the media writes, owners
can do whatever they want. Just ask Jeremy Jacobs.

On Monday, Grousbeck told MacMullan, ''I was so shocked at what Red
said. He said, `This is a [expletive] dictatorship. You make the call
and we'll back you up.' ''

They get to do what they want. That's what makes them owners.