RE: All You O'Brien Groupies Can Rejoice

At 02:03 PM 4/29/2003 -0700, you wrote:

I'm wondering if you know my name is spelled Ryan; it
seems unlikely that you mis-typed (the 'a' is a long
way from the 'u' on the keyboard).  And if not and
it's supposed to be a pun of some sort, I missed it.
Sorry.
I was wondering the same thing - whether you knew that my name was spelled 'Kestas'.

True that, but I submit that Tommy says more than
simply basing the refs.  What about the frequent
shoutouts to the redhead in Needham?  Or the frequent
pleas to tape ankles?  Or the praise of Antione as the
best offensive rebounder in Celtics' history?  As you
can see, Tommy has many many stock points he likes to
make over the course of a game.  Is that bad?  i.e.
does that make a bad color commentator?  I would say
not.  In fact, every color commentator (and some poor
play-by-play men) has some sort of agenda to
further....i.e. they see the game in a certain manner
and everything they comment on is a reflection of that
manner.  Thus, all Tommy does in the process of
commentating is the furtherment of his Tommyesque
agenda, i.e., his perspective on how the game is to be
played.  Thus, he will repeat himself for the simple
fact that what he repeats is how he sees the game,
making each particular happening in the game a further
justification of what he believes.  It's the same
thing we all do on this board, and it is the way
humans communicate (at least in academia).  I don't
really know if I made a point or answered/refuted what
you said, but nonetheless remember that Tommy is
better than most other commentators around and he
actually isn't afraid to voice an opinion against the
officials (which is more than I can say for most color
commentators).
It's all fine and I understand that. It's just when he starts ranting about the refs from the get-go and won't let up, it gets old - especially when you've already heard it 80 or 90 times this season.

Yet there is something to the fact that the Celtics
are hit with an inordinate number of bad calls when
compared with other winning teams.  It may be
unreasonable to say that this is some intentional
conspiracy against the Celtics, but nonetheless a
discrepency exists.  Why do Kobe or Iverson or McGrady
get calls that Pierce does not?
I don't know that there's any evidence to support either of your claims. It may have more to do with your bias as a Celtics fan than anything else. Pierce has been one of the league leaders in FTA the last couple of years. Toine may NOT get the benefit of the doubt - and yes, it's unfair - but he only has himself to blame. People don't take it well when you screech at them like a howler monkey every time a call is made involving you, or not made when you think it should have been.

Actually, Kestus, the situation you portray doesn't
sound that bad.  Make Wallace a glorified scout.  He
is pretty good at it.  Don't let him make decisions.
Let it be a group thing, with O'Brien and the players
(who usually have a much better idea of what is
happening in terms of scouting than any executive)
having the majority of the decision making powers.
There is credence to the "one leader" formula of sport
management, in that one vision is usually clearer and
better than a muddled and cloudy group decision.
However, in our particular case, it would be better to
just delegate power in a proper manner.  Give Wallace
reign in the scouting department.  Give that scouting
information to the ownership.  Consult with O'Brien on
the players he feels he needs to add depth (so we can
be a running team the entire season, instead of just
the playoffs).  Consult the players.  Find a group of
5-10 players to target with the two picks.  Work them
out with Antione, Paul and anyone else who would show
up.  The current players will ultimately know if they
can compete and fit in on the team.  Then, on draft
day, make the appropriate decision.  It's all about
delegation.  Let people make decisions they have the
knowledge to make and we will be fine.
Sure, the players would have a better idea what the potential draft picks can do than Wallace, can't hurt to consult them. It also wouldn't hurt to compile a psychological profile on potential draftees so that we don't pick someone as timid as Kedrick and JJ, or a pain in the ass troublemaker like Forte. At least talk to them at length, get to know them beyond their vertical and wingspan numbers.

P.S.  Kestus, what do you teach at Dartmouth?
I don't, at least not in the sense that you mean. I'm a Ph.D. student in neuroscience.