Re: Don't Judge The Celtics via Their Performance Against The Pacers

While I'm in agreement that as a coach, Thomas makes a good spectator, I
take issue with your statement about the benches of each team.  Everyone's
been going on--and on, and on, and on--about how the Celtics "have no
depth" while the Pacers are lauded for a bench apparently so deep they
leave Reggie Miller on it at the end of playoff games.

The bench--coach or no coach--still has to execute on the court, be it
their coach's play or whatever they come up with that works.  While I am
often annoyed by the pundit's repeated dismissal of the Celtics, they're on
the money with the Pacers.  They have a deep, talent-laden team that
routinely goes .500 each year.  When they had their hot start this season,
everyone was shocked.  Personally, I think it was that the Pacers were in
better shape than everyone else in the preseason and kept rolling.

Said bench--and, for that matter, the starters--did not execute against the
Celtics.  Rather the reverse.  The Pacers did not defend well, and their
offense was stagnant in the face of the Celtics defense.  The Celtics
played team ball at both ends, and won big.  In the one game where the
Pacers made their game plan work, they blitzed the C's early in the first
and still nearly lost when the C's came back.

So, I WILL judge by their performance.  Coach Thomas said, following the
last game, that if the Pacers make the shots the missed, it would have been
a different story.  Well, gee, Isaiah, they DIDN'T make them, and that's
one of the reasons you LOST.  What a stupid thing to say.  I'm just annoyed
at the public support Thomas gets.  On the one paw, people are whispering
that this series may determine if he keeps his job.  Then, when the Celtics
outplay them, goosegging Reggie in the process, the C's supposedly "got
lucky" by "stealing a game".  Give me a break.  The C's had a bad slide in
March that slid them down the playoff seeds, and they're beating a team
that I expected them to beat.

The Nets get their points by hard transition and Kidd flopping as he makes
circus shots.  Put them in a halfcourt game, and they are gonzo.

And for those wondering how the Good Guys will do against the Lakers, I'd
say the Lakers should be concerned about getting past Minnesota.  :>)
At 12:32 PM 4/26/03 -0400, Way Of The Ray wrote:
>Isiah's monumental coaching incompetence skews all the
>results vastly in the Celtics favor. Only Isiah could make it possible
>for the Celtics woeful bench to outplay the
>superior Pacers back-ups.  The true test of where the Celtics stand is
>how they perform against the Nets.  And my guess is the Nets will
>clobber the Celtics as usual.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle