tonight's game v. Miami

Finally, a win.  Some may say it counts less, coming
as it did against the third worst (record-wise) team
in the league.  But, they have beaten us twice already
this year, so any win versus Miami is a good win; not
to mention the need to win a few before the playoffs.
We did have a huge let down in the 4th quarter, but
with a few big stops (steals by E. Williams and
Bremer) and a few free throws (Antione hit 3 or 4 free
throws in the last 2 minutes) we prevailed.  On to the
player profiles:

Pierce--40 minutes, 32 points (10-22), 9 rebounds, 5
assists.  All in all, a good game for Pierce.
However, the first 3 periods were Pierce at his best.
At that point, he was 10-16, dishing when needed and,
overall, playing as well as he has this season.  Then,
fourth quarter rolls around, he picks up his first
turnovers (3), misses 6 shots, and looked as if he
forgot his brain on the bench.  For some reason, he
decided to neglect what was working in the first three
quarters (that is, the passing when double and triple
teamed) and tried to take over.  Result:  Miami almost
won.  Pierce cannot let this happen in the playoffs.

Antione--he stepped up tonight.  8-17 shooting.  12
bounds.  4 assists.  Only 1 turnover.  Good Antione
(as all the haters like to say) prevailed.  That said,
he does take plays off (like not running or cutting
hard).  I suspect its for one of two reasons; either
he's consciously resting on the court (something I've
heard McHale talk about as crucial to playing long
minutes) or the knee or some other ailment is to
blame.  More than likely, it is a combo of both;
though watching last year's playoffs recently I must
say that Antione was both slimmer and quicker...a
quickness that was present at the beginning of this
season, but one which has not been present after the
knee injury.

Battie--ah, I could kiss Battie.  He is, without a
doubt, the most important player on the team (assuming
of course we have a healthy Pierce and Antione).  20
minutes.  12 points (5-6 shooting).  8 bounds.
Perfect center defense for this system...also brought
some much needed intensity to the floor.  Luckily the
playoffs are not scheduled with
back-to-backs....because I have a feeling Tony will be
huge if given enough rest between games.

Delk--alright minutes for the other Tony.  Got his
pocket picked which led directly to a fast break
lay-up.  Did hit a few jumpers and one three-pointer.
Managed to score in double figures---10 points---and
that is, basically, all I want from him.

E Williams--bad game for Eric.  But he still managed
to make an important defensive steal at the end to
seal the win.  But, he was burned a couple times by
Caron Butler for dunks, had 3 turnovers, and shot
2-12....all in all, a bad game.

Bremer--nice to see him take it to the basket.  Made a
three pointer too.  Scored 9 points with 2 assists...

The rest of the players had some nice contributions,
but I'm going to truncate this because I'm lazy :)

Coaching--probably the best substutition pattern I've
ever seen O'Brien use.  Got Antionenad Paul  4 minute
rests in both halves, and managed to give Kedrick 11
minutes...which, considering what is the norm, is
great.

Ryan
http://tax.yahoo.com