CBW review: Celtics vs. Magic, April 12, 2003

The Celtics came into tonight needing a "feel-good" win after the
embarrassing loss to Philadelphia one day after finally making their second
trip to the playoffs in as many years official.  The Magic were ripe to be
beaten.  They were on the second night of a back-to-back, and the C's had
rested up for a couple of days in the Florida sun.  Things were even going
well enough that Tony Battie was not scheduled to play, the Coach figuring
he could go the distance with the rest of the team.

Not that it wasn't an important game.  The C's held the 6th spot in the
East, and only the night before, Orlando had clinched with the 7th.  There
was only 1/2 game between them, with the C's holding the tiebreaker.  But
it would be nice, everyone in Boston agreed, to nail down this one.

I must make an obligatory "BLEAH" to NBAtv.com, as the only reason I saw
this game was I got the
local feed.

BLEAH!!!

Bleah to David Stern, too.

First Quarter:

The Magic won the tipoff, and Tracy McGrady went right to work on the hoop,
only to have it negated by an offensive foul from former Celtic Andrew
DeClerq.  Pierce back-rimmed a three, but the C's picked up a rebound,
allowing Walker to launch a three.  The Magic took that rebound, and
MacGrady promptly showed how to shoot the three, giving the Magic a 3-0 lead.

Antoine Walker keeps trying to use that weird hook shot.  It went in, but
it was ugly.  At least it beats launching bad perimeter jumpers.  DeClerq
went to the bench after a dumb second foul against Pierce near
halfcourt.  Orlando was relying on outside jumpers early on.  Lucky for
them, so was Boston.  Through the first part of the quarter, neither team
was scoring well.  In Battie's absense, Mark Blount worked the glass, to
good effect.  He may be a positive influence on the rebound-challenged Celtics.

 From the start, it was a physical game, and a good idea of what to expect
in the playoffs.  Pierce was
doubled if he even looked at the ball, and failed to score from the field,
though he did take a few trips to the line, as usual.  I liked the C's
effort on the glass as the game opened, showing they understood what the
playoffs would bring.  But there were still some bad defensive lapses that
allowed Orlando to get too many easy shots.  McGrady was shouldering the
burden of the scoring before the C's wised up and did unto him what the NBA
has been doing to Pierce all year.  Neither team was doing well from the
arc, as Boston was 0-3 and the Magic had only tried one.  When a timeout
was called with 5:32 left in the quarter, the score was 15-11, Orlando leading.

Following the timeout, Boston started to heat up offensively, even as the
Magic cooled off.  A lot of that was due to better defense against
McGrady.  Pierce then picked up his second foul and sat in favor of Kedrick
Brown.  I was pleased to see the Good Guys running more, but they're still
getting beat back by the defense.  Bremer came into the game, and showed
that coming off the bench was a very good idea.  He seems to be playing
better, though I wish they'd encourage him to go inside more.  Waltah made
himself more lovable by hitting a nice short jumper.  Bremer seems to have
the makings of a point guard, if only the C's would go inside more.  He can
make the nice inside pass, as he did to Eric Williams for an easy
two.  Another timeout was called with 1:58 left and the score tied at
24.  After that, the teams traded deep misses as the clock wound
down.  Kedrick smartly moved inside the arc and drilled a jumper.  The
quarter ended with the Celtics leading, 28-24.

Second Quarter:

Bremer opened up the quarter draining a shot clock jumper.  I know the C's
CAN pass, I just get tired
of them dribbling up the floor instead of looking for the outlet pass. They
need to start beating
defenses instead of trying to work around them every time.  The Magic kept
being careless with the ball, but the C's never took full advantage of
that.  Pierce continued to get mugged every time he got near the ball, and
spent a lot of time at the line as a result.  He tried to do more passing
out, but the Magic defense was alert for that most of the time.  Blount
showed he can elevate as he had a nice rejection that was called
goaltending--I thought it was very close, though.  Timeout was called with
8:57 left, and the Celtics ahead, 32-28.

After the timeout, Burke kept making a pest of himself, enough so that the
C's needed to pay more
attention to him.  Then a careless pass by Grant Long led to Darrell
Armstrong getting a mighty dunk to tie the game at 32 as Jim O'Brien called
a timeout to explain the notion of passing the ball to someone on OUR team.

Then after the timeout, Pierce came up limping after crashing to the floor,
causing the C's to call time.  It looked like he came down wrong on his
ankle via Shawn Kemp's foot, though thankfully, he did return to the court
after a brief rest.  In the meantime, Walker did drive to the hoop, to no
avail, as the Magic took the rebound and scored at the other end.  Eric
Williams also drove to the hoop, and went to the line for his trouble.  I
do wish the C's would learn to finish those shots, so they'd be shooting
one at the line instead of two.  Kedrick showed he could also go to the
glass, which is a relief.  He does need to play more, though barring
injury, I think it'll be next season before that happens.

The Magic announcers pointed out--correctly--that Eric Williams still
throws his left arm out too much on fouls.  Sooner or later, he's going to
get called for a flagrant.  He needs to learn to keep the arm in
more.  Lucky for Boston, the Magic started settling for bad outside
jumpers.  That let the C's stay with them.  Even McGrady went cold.  With
exactly 4 minutes left in the half, the score was tied at 38 and the Magic
starters were back on the court.  Doc Rivers was definitely anxious not to
let this game slip away, and knew that it was unlikely that they'd keep
Pierce away from the hoop all night.  The Celtics had shot poorly from the
field in the quarter, with only the trips to the line by Boston and
questionable shot selection by Orlando keeping the game close.

But the C's still look tired, as Walker made a beauty of a pass to Pierce,
who was right under the basket for a "gimme".  Pierce couldn't make a clean
catch, and ended having to make a tough pass to Waltah for a three that
missed.  The C's seemed determined through the game to keep Waltah parked
in the corner and shooting threes.  If they go in, not a bad idea.  They
weren't going in much tonight.  There's also a glaring problem with the C's
defense.  They're really crowding the strong side, gambling they can keep
the ball on that side of the court.  The problem is, if the ball makes it
to the other side, the guy is often wide open for an easy shot.  The C's
just aren't always moving fast enough to make this idea work.

One again, Walker tried to pass it inside, but the C's offense is moving so
slowly *I* could have
intercepted the pass.  Needless to say, the Magic did.  If the Celtics
would just move out of first gear, they could be posting double digit wins
regularly.  Conversely, the Magic keep expecting McGrady to do it all,
often standing around as much as the C's do when Walker and/or Pierce have
the ball.  Mark Blount continued to play solid defense.  If they encourage
that, Tony Battie might get some rest for that knee.  As the last minute
wound down, the C's made a run at the Magic, but the Magic were able to
hold on for the last possession as time ran out in the half with Orlando
leading it, 46-40.

HALFTIME

Cookie Break!!

So far, this was an exciting game, and exactly what the Celtics
needed.  It's a given in the playoffs that Pierce will be the focus of the
defense.  It was gratifying to see Pierce--and, for that matter,
Walker--take it in stride and not complain unduly to or about the
officials.  I saw glimmers of the kind of defense the C's will need to
play, though it was plain they missed Battie loitering under the hoop.

On the bad side, there were some defensive lapses, some of which have been
there all season long.  The C's still do not run as well or as often as
they need to, and the concept of the outlet pass still seems alien to
them.  I was nervous about the third quarter, as the Good Guys simply
cannot afford to keep going extended minutes without scoring.  A 12 point
second quarter does not instill confidence.  But if the effort is there, I
think the C's showed signs of being not only able to win this game, but of
getting on a positive roll headed into the playoffs.

Stats-wise through the half, the C's had gone 13-34 from the field for
38.2%, while Orlando was 17-42 and 40.5%.  The C's had a slight edge in
free throws, 11-15 vs. 9-10 for the Magic; and the threes were about even,
3-12 for Boston, 3-10 for Orlando.  The Magic, mostly McGrady, had a 26-10
edge in paint points.  Mostly, the C's needed to work on their shot
selection and tighten up the defense.  Pierce had been totally absent from
field scoring in the first half.  That had to change, fast.

Cookie Break!!

Third Quarter:

The C's crashed the boards, but to no avail as the quarter opened.  The
Magic repeated history as
McGrady's first basket was disallowed due to a foul by DeClerq.  Wow, a
timewarp!!  The Magic were beginning to pick up loose balls for rebounds, a
troubling sign.  But they keept taking bad jumpers.

Mark Blount showed good speed and strength, nearly rejecting DeClerq on a
dunk.  If he had a little help under the hoop, the C's wouldn't be so
worried about rebounds.  At first, the Magic were extending their lead, but
Mark Blount made a nice fake and then dumped in a shot for two, even going
to the line and making the free throw (YAY!!).  DeClerq then picked up his
4th, and sat once more.  I was glad, as he'd done some damage to Boston the
last couple of times they played.  Pierce started a Celtics run, prompting
a timeout by Orlando with 8:42 left and the Magic lead down to 49-47.

After the timeout, McGrady kept himself scoreless with bad jumpers as
Pierce hit for consecutive
hoops.  The C's had eradicated the Magic lead to tie it up at 49 with 7:35
to go in the third.  Waltah
kept Garrity from opening it up, which as a relief to Celtics fans.  Pierce
made it three in a row to give the Good Guys the lead.  The Celtics kept
getting good calls from the officials, who knows why, and tried like the
dickens to make it count.  Then Walker nailed a three to cap a 12-0 run as
Orlando called timeout with 6:16 left.

When play was back in, there was a problem with the shot clock and the game
clock.  The Celtics took it inbounds with 6:14 to go.  The game clock froze
at 6:07 and the shot clock at 17 seconds, as play
continued, by my count, until it should have read 5:50.  The C's never got
a shot off, and normally, it
would have been a shot clock violation by Boston, as the Magic played solid
defense.  It took a few
minutes to fix it, and the C's ended up keeping the ball and they simply
started where the clock had been frozen, with 6:07 and 17 on the shot
clock, as the score hadn't changed during the freeze. Sadly, the C's turned
it over.  Sigh.  The Magic seemed to wise up on their shooting, as they
went to the hoop, which produced points and prompted a timeout with 5:31
left and the Celtics lead down to 54-53.

Pierce then kicked the ball out to Waltah for three, which would no doubt
encourage them to keep
Waltah out there.  Williams then made a nice save to keep possession for
Boston.  Then, the Celtics
leisurely pace caught up with them as they got nailed for an 8 second count
at halfcourt.  The Magic then started going inside more often, as the C's
did not adjust.  Then the C's started to falter a bit as the Magic started
scooping rebounds and getting more second shots.  The C's tried going
inside, but Pat Burke stopped Walta's shot at the side of the lane.

Pierce got a break, as he tripped over Waltah's foot, but the refs called
the foul on Orlando.  The
replay clearly showed the Magic were not responsible.  Pierce went to the
line and made good.  Kedrick Brown then intercepted Armstrong's slow pass,
but Pierce's shot clock three didn't go. The last minute played close as
both teams hustled, but the C's were called for an offensive foul, giving
Pierce his 4th.  Orlando played for the last shot, making it on Pat
Garrity's three somehow getting past Waltah's defense.  The quarter ended
with Orlando leading it 65-63.

I was relieved that the Celtics had scored 23 points in the quarter, though
nervous that the Magic
seemed to have abandoned their outside jumper in favor of going into the
hoop.  That made them VERY dangerous.  I hoped the Celtic defense was up to
the job ahead of them.

Fourth Quarter:

The quarter began about as well as I could wish for, as Pierce ripped down
a rebound at one end, and the Celtics passed the ball crisply to get
Williams open under the hoop for an easy two.  But the Magic were also
passing well, starting to look for the open man.  I noticed that Bremer was
alert for that pass to the corner man and defended it well early in the
quarter.  Unfortunately, the C's kept coughing up the ball, and the Celtics
need to work on that if they want to go anywhere in the playoffs.

The teams played with energy, and Boston was making a lead.  I noticed a
bad habit that Walker has
lately.  When he gets a defensive rebound, he tucks the ball into his tummy
and wraps both arms around it, swiveling his upper body around to turn his
elbows into offensive weapons.  Yes, it protects the ball and the rebound,
but there's no chance of an outlet pass bneing made.  In some ways, I think
they've become a little paranoid with the steals by other teams of
late.  But they built a 10-1 run and had a lead of 73-66 with 8:24 left.  I
was starting to feel pretty good about this game.

I noticed that Bremer tried to run a fast break, but when his path was
blocked, he had no one to pass to until the rest of the team caught up with
him.  Pierce bailed him ut with a three.  Then Walker blocked a shot, and
the C's moved the ball well, though now THEY were settling for the
jumper.  Pierce was the only one now going inside and the entire Magic team
was with him.  Orlando began to make a run of their own with 6:40 left and
the score now 75-68.

I noticed the C's seemed to be willing to trust Bremer to run point, at
least occasionally.  I hope it
works, as it would free up Walker to go inside.  If he and Pierce could do
that together, other defensive coaches would be working on ulcers
throughout the playoffs.  Unfortunately, the Magic were now closing the gap
once more.  Waltah scored a hoop to prompt a Magic timeout with the score
now 79-71, Boston leading.

But Pierce was now playing with 5 fouls, and I wondered how good his
defense could possibly be in the face of that.  The Magic defense was now
ratcheted up a notch and McGrady found the hoop again.  But even now, I
felt the Celtics could win this if they played smart, but McGrady took over
the scoring over the next few possessions and with 4:15 left, the score was
79-78, as Boston's lead was down to one point.

The C's turned the ball over after the timeout, and McGrady blew past the
C's defense when Waltah
was left all alone in the lane against the speeding T-Mac.  Pierce made a
basket to restore the C's lead and took down the rebound on the Magic miss,
leading to a Tony Delk three.  With 2;35 left, the C's led 84-80.

Eric Williams took an Orlando airball, but Walker's three bounced
out.  Then Vaughn took a nice pass
for an easy two.  Then with 1:45 left, Pierce tried to drive from the three
point line and turn the corner toward the hoop.  He stumbled, and was
triple teamed as he tried to get out of the corner back toward
halfcourt.  He managed to get out and move toward the lane, dragging over
half the Magic team with him as he looked for someone to pass to.  He tried
to feed Williams, who was driving toward the hoop, but he couldn't catch
it, only managing to slap it back inbounds toward Tony Delk in the corner
as he fell.  Delk barely kept the ball from dribbling out of bounds and had
to hoist it up with 5 seconds left on the shot clock.  The ball bounced off
the front of the rim, and into the hands of Pierce, who was now at the top
of the key.  Pierce fiddled and diddled at the three point arc, then drove
straight to the hoop for the slam.  That made it 86-82 with 1:16 left in
the game.

After a timeout, McGrady fed Declerq for an easy two underneath the hoop to
cut Boston's lead to two points.  Pierce tried another drive to the hoop,
but the Magic were ready for him this time and one triple-team later, had
control of the ball with 44 seconds left.  Gordon Giricek was left all
alone in the corner and Waltah didn't stand a chance of stopping his three
from going in. With 33.2 seconds left, the Magic now led it, 87-86.

The Celtics took the ball in after a timeout, and Pierce got a good look,
but it didn't go in.  With 26.7
seconds left, Boston retained possession and got it to Pierce, who got an
even better look that didn't go.  Pierce rebounded his miss, and put it
back up, but that didn't go either. Those were great looks, right under the
hoop, and at least ONE of them should have gone in.  The ball went out of
bounds off Boston with 14.9 seconds left.

The Magic took the ball out of bounds at halfcourt and Jaque Vaughn was
sent to the free throw line
with 12.2 seconds left.  He made both, and the score was 89-86 as Boston
called it's final timeout.

Pierce passed the ball inbounds, and got it to Walker.  Antoine Weaved it
back to pierce, who got an
open look at a three, which back rimmed.  Waltah ran down the rebound and
saved it back to Walker,
who was fouled with 2.3 seconds left (Orlando had one to give, and barely
made it before he launched the three).

Once more, Pierce sent the ball inbound to Walker, who launched with a
defender literally hanging over him. The shot never reached the rim, and
time expired as the Magic won the game, 89-86.

This was a game the C's should have won.  It was the little things that
killed them.  Not keeping up their defense of McGrady, not shooting at all
well in the second and fourth quarters, and lots of little lapses of
similar nature.  The Celtics need to move faster on both ends of the court
and if they're going to play defense, then they need to commit as fully as
they did last season.

I liked some of what Bremer did defensively, I wish the rest of the team
would follow suit.  Blount was pretty good while he was there.  Kedrick got
some quality minutes, but without team rebounding, there's not much he can do.

With this loss, the C's and the Magic are tied for 6th in the East, though
the Good Guys hold the
tiebreaker.  What worries me is that the Celtics still have two games left,
the first tomorrow night
against the Miami Heat, and the last on Wednesday against Detroit.  They
could still fall, if they don't pay attention and start doing instead of
talking.

And that's the view from the doghouse.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle