It could be worse

If we trade Walker, we better be sure that we solve our problems we what we
get back. As miserable as this team is right now, it sure could get a lot
worse...

DJessen33

<Mutombo recalled how management "panicked" when he and his strikingly slow
and old teammates were run out of the 1999 playoffs by the New York Knicks.
After a purge of seasoned players, only Mutombo remained. Then came the
Hawks' ongoing slide to oblivion, and Wilkens was ousted. Then Mutombo was
traded to the Philadelphia 76ers in February of 2001.

What should Hawks management have done?

Learn the lessons of history," said Mutombo, ever the philosopher. "They (the
Hawks) made the same mistake as Chicago did. One day, the Bulls had Michael
Jordan, and the next, [Bulls general manager] Jerry Krause woke up and said
he wanted to start over. If you have talented, veteran players, and you want
to change, you need to add only a couple of young guys along the way to make
the transition.

"The Bulls didn't do it, and the Hawks didn't do it, and they both ended with
a big vacuum." >