Re: A Subject That Must Be Discussed........

Well, that pretty obvious. Even if they had the chance of really doing some damage, the viewership wouldnt be that great until the playoffs. Frankly, they play very ugly basketball. Even when they win, its often very ugly. When they lose, its usually awful. I go to a few games a year and attended the Miami game last week. Good seats, good friends, and playing a team coached by the hated Pat Riley. It ended up being the worst game I have ever witnessed live and the Fleet was not close to full. Turnovers, airballs, bricks galore - it was painful. It was a rarity when someone on either team did make the correct pass. If I had not been intent on seeing the Heat fail to score 60, I would have left early. I have never even considered that before.

In making this point, I want to say that even though part of the Celts problems lie with the 3ball to the Nth degree offense, the bad basketball I witnessed that night in person and have seen countless times on TV the last few years is equally representative of the NBA today. The Celtics should suck. Any team which plays good team basketball can pick them apart all night - yet they went to the EC finals last year and will make the playoffs this year. Outside of a few bright spots (Sacramento, Phoenix, Dallas, LA, NJ, and maybe Houston down the road) this league is pretty darn awful. It gets harder and harder to watch each year.
Count me disenchanted with the NBA equally as much with the Celtics.
Way Of The Ray wrote:

And should be troubling to the new owners.

It's the fact that no one in the Boston area has
any interest in this Celtics team. They registered a
.7 in the TV ratings last night, and now with the Red Sox
season dawning, that's not likely to change. A subpar
playoff performance will only increase the disenchantment
with O'Brien's much despised three-pointness.

Put a winning exciting team on the court or field and the
local fans will watch/attend and even talk about
the team on the radio.

Continue with this NBA evolutionary dead end and
very few will be interested in paying exhorbitant ticket price
increases.
Ray