Bird

I'm trying not to get my hopes up where Bird is concerned. The Herald story
is both encouraging-at least there's mutual interest, and they're going to
discuss it-and discouraging. I can see why the new owners, who clearly are
excited to own the Celtics and the celebrity that comes with it, would be
hesitant to immediately hand the keys to the shiny new car to anyone-even
someone like Larry Bird.

But I'm still hopeful. I know Bird would make mistakes. Everyone does. But
Josh is right in saying Bird's track record is pretty darn good. He worked
with one of the best in Donnie Walsh (and if Bird would bring in Walsh that
would be my dream management team). And Bird would be concerned with one
thing-winning championships. He's secure enough to put the right people in
position to be successful and not let ego get in the way of success. He
proved that with the way he coached.

Anyway, I'm excited about it. I'd love to see the line of former Celtics
restored in some manner. That ended with Pitino, and there isn't a strong
Celtic presence in the management team now. Red is a figurehead. It would be
nice to have someone involved in building the team who understands what has
made the Celtics successful over the years.

Mark