Kenny points to Nets

        Ex-Celt arrives for Classic at Garden

By MITCH LAWRENCE
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
In two weeks, Boston will start training camp without a proven playmaker - a
fact that brings a laugh and a prediction from ex-Celtic Kenny Anderson."If I
were a betting man, I'd pick the Nets to be runaway winners in the East,"
said Anderson, whom the Celtics traded to Seattle in the offseason in the Vin
Baker deal. "The Nets did things right. They got better, with Dikembe Mutombo
and Rodney Rogers and Chris Childs. But the Celtics have sacrificed my
position. I'd be shocked if they were as good as they were last season."
Anderson, an ex-Net, made his comments before coming home for tonight's 2002
All-Star Classic to Benefit Wheelchair Charities at the Garden. NBA players
who plan on playing include Mark Jackson, Allan Houston, Ron Artest, Jerry
Stackhouse, Nick Van Exel, Darius Miles and Tim Thomas.
As for the Celtics' chances of returning to the Eastern Conference finals,
Anderson openly questioned whether Shammond Williams, Tony Delk or J.R.
Bremer - backups who will compete for the starting job - will be able to get
the ball to Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker.
"Point guard is a very key position in this league," Anderson said. "But the
Celtics don't have one now."
Not that the Molloy product doesn't have his own worries. Namely, how he's
going to get on the court for Seattle. Entering the final season of a
seven-year, $50 million deal that pays him about $9.2 million, he needs to
have a productive season to secure a new pact. But Gary Payton isn't showing
any signs of slowing down and figures to still get his usual 40 minutes a
night."I definitely worry about my minutes," said Anderson, entering his 12th
NBA season. "I don't know if Seattle knows how they're going to use me. Maybe
they'll put me and Gary together at times. My mind-set is to go in and do the
best I can without upsetting the applecart."It hasn't been a good offseason
for veteran point guards. At this late date, free agents Rod Strickland, Greg
Anthony, Mookie Blaylock and Dana Barros are still looking for work."If I
don't play enough," Anderson said, "I hope other teams will understand my
situation. But I also know I haven't lost anything. I can still run a team.
So it's not like I have to prove myself to anybody."