re: Rumors and other stuff

From: "Berry, Mark S" <berrym@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Finally, I wanted to touch on this Pierce-Andre Miller thing. I think
Miller is getting unfairly attacked. All we know is he had a dust-up with
Pierce. Nothing wrong with that for either guy. We know Pierce is an
emotional, confident guy. He wants the ball and says so. [...]
I'm not going to suddenly consider him [Miller] a selfish loser because he had a
disagreement with Pierce. And the Bucher blurb about anonymous teammates
hating Pierce... it did say "teammates" and it didn't single out Miller. I
think anyone criticizing Pierce for his play in that tournament needs to
take a long look in the mirror, but I'm not ready to hang Andre Miller for
those comments. As for the criticism of Miller's play in the loss to
Yugoslavia... he and Pierce were the only guys on the team with the guts to
shoot down the stretch. Was every decision perfect? Of course not, but he
wasn't afraid. Same with Pierce. I'll take both guys on my team.
Aye, so would I, if I could be assured they could get along well enough. Seems they may not care for each other, which is fine. I was only pointing out that Miller is the only one identified one the team as thinking that Pierce is selfish. The next best piece of evidence is George Karl's comments, which you really have to read in a sort of skewed way, or his refusing to play Pierce in the fourth, which after he admitted was probably a mistake. "Anonymous" teammates, sources, or what-have-you aren't even as convincing as "well, he said that she said that the other guy knew a guy who heard from a guy that knew that ...".

Agreed that Miller and Pierce were the only ones with enough gumption to be taking the big shots in crunch time, and that counts for a lot, but if you're going to criticize a teammate for hogging the ball, it'd probably carry more weight if your behavior on the court wasn't a little ballhoggedly yourself, that's all. It's too bad the second-worst shooter on the team was one of the guy's who had to try to step up late in the game. The team ought to have put plans in place to where guys were getting more open via cuts and picks, but that was their whole problem throughout the tournament. I don't blame Miller for losing or Pierce either. It's a team game. You win or lose as a team. Where Miller could be criticized for a little ball-hogging, I didn't see many other people (other than Pierce) trying to get open, either.

Bird