Ruben Wolkowysky

From: "hironaka@xxxxxxxxx"<hironaka@xxxxxxxxx>

Ruben Wolkowysky (can we just call him "W"?) had 9 points
with 9 boards and an assist in 28 minutes versus Team
USA. It appears that he played in Moscow last year. There
isn't much written on this guy so far...but change the
keyword to "Dubya" and you get a whole nuther story.
You get what you pay for, as my grandpappy used to say. Who knew it would ever be applicable in the NBA? The Celts are getting just about anyone they can for the minimum, and if the guy is only worth the minimum, the chances that he'll have a major effect on the team decrease. However, you get enough guys for the minimum, as the C's seem to do doing, and at least *one* of them will get significant time, right?

Looks as if the guys from "Dreamwater.com" didn't give W much a chance (4-5 games) before labeling him a bust, though he seemed to put up some decent numbers in the Worlds. Can't wait for training camp to actually see these guys play. If either Sundov or W can be effective backup big men in the league, Wallace has pulled another rabbit out of the hat of despair. 'Course he'll never be able to re-sign them in that case, but...
.

Almost no matter who the 12th guy turns out to be, this team has changed most dramatically from last year. The coaching staff's going to have to make some serious changes, especially on offense. Baker needs to be used,
otherwise, what's the point? I'm not a huge "inside-out" strategy fan, but it could prove effective for next year's team. I hope Obie alters his thinking a bit, as plugging the new guys into the slots the old guys inhabited is probably a recipe for disaster. (Vin Baker jumping out on the pick-and-roll really scares me.) Obie's better off using the guys Wallace gives him.

I sure wish the management triumvirate (Obie-Wallace-Pond) were more on the same page. You know, Wallace gets (or keeps) the guys Obie wants, and Pond ponies up the dough. The way it is, Wallace is just making do, Obie'
s making do, and this'll probably trickle down to us fans making do, as well. Vin Baker has to regain most of his All-Star form. Just has to. At least, that's what I'm hoping for.

Bird